Praise for a Warner Executive

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeeF, Apr 21, 2004.

1. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

On the basis of some of my favorite projects, Meet Me In St. Louis, the Gypsy and King of Kings soundtracks, and now Sweeney Todd, Mr. Feltenstein is now my favorite person working in DVDs and film and soundtrack restoration. I have very little information about him, but keep it up, George! You have at least one, very impressed, fan.

2. Roger J

Roger J Stunt Coordinator

George Feltenstein was formerly with MGM Home Video. His efforts bringing classic MGM films to laserdisc, almost always in original aspect ratio, are near legendary amongst film fans that collected LDs.

3. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thank you, George!

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Judging from clips shown on Turner Classic Movies and interviews, Mr. Feltenstein really seems to be a die-hard classic movie lover...

I hope he stays at Warner for a good while, though... even though some of the other studios could probably use a little bit of his input.

Warner really is the studio I almost always look forward to hearing about new releases. Not to mention that they usually end up getting most of my savings when it comes to DVD's (I ended up getting 11 Warner titles in 2003)

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Can they make a clone of him for all the other studios?

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

All that the other Studios need to do is follow his lead, that is if they are smart enough to. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    George Feltenstein is truly a crown jewel amongst studio executives. I can't give enough praise to the work he and his team (I'm sure George surrounds himself with the best) have done to make their product stand out. I wish all other studios shared his passion for bringing out their classic libraries instead of leaving them in the vaults.

Unfortunately I don't know the name, but I also want to thank whoever at Universal came up with the idea to package classic films in multi-movie/multi-disc packs at very affordable prices (Abbott & Costello, Monsters, Kettles, etc.). Those are great. I know Universal gets beat up on this forum from time to time, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Steve

8. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    George was a real hero to musical fans in the LD days. Its great to see him at it again![​IMG]

9. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

The best way to thank George is to buy lots of his discs - that way he can point out the sales to his bosses, and we'll get even more of his titles.

It's all about the P&L sheets nowadays - keep them in the black and everyone wins. [​IMG]

10. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

This is particularly true of something like Sweeney Todd. It's a musical taped for television -- and there's a pretty small audience for it. But the show is quite amazing, and what George and his team have brought out is a stupendous version -- it's never been seen like this.

Buy it! and tell all your friends to buy it, too.

11. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Someone should call George Feltenstein and suggest to him that he, Mike Matessino (one heck of a cool guy, by the way!), Michael Thau, and Jonathan Gaines should all get together and do a proper restored SE of "Superman II" for next year. I'd be all over it in half a second! [​IMG]

12. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

If only for my laserdiscs of Easter Parade and the Band Wagon, thank you George Feltenstein!

Given the recent treatment on DVD of some of the classic MGM musicals, I have no fear that my high hopes for these two titles will be comfortably surpassed.

Cheers,

Brendon

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I believe it has always been about "P&L". Look at at Universal's history. In those days I believe that Studios tried to release a more varied product in terms of audience appeal. Today most everything seems to be aimed at a narrow target audience both in the theatre & with DVDs with some Studios. I am very thankful that WB is opening their vault & releasing so many catalog titles. I hope they keep it up even if the "P&L" gets a little thin.

14. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

What does P&L stand for? Sorry for my ignorance...

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Profit & Loss. [​IMG] MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Oh, I'm so NOT a money person, I would never have guessed.

I guess the real reason I think George Feltenstein should be praised, is because he chooses projects (like Sweeney Todd) that are probably a little risky, money-wise, though he knows they have a possible fan base.

So, Sweeney Todd has no extras, because the company couldn't afford to do them, or perhaps they wanted the bitrate to be as high as possible for the video picture.

Anyway, GF is making all the right decisions as far as I am concerned.

If Sweeney Todd makes money, I hope George's team will go after the previous Sondheim musical, Pacific Overtures, also taped but only shown in Japan.

17. Michael St. Clair

George Feltenstein produced those great Looney Tunes LD box sets with Jerry Beck. The guy is a saint.

18. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I'm a fan of Feltenstein as well. His department did a bang-up job on "Meet Me In St. Louis", and I hope for even more great work in the future.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I just hope it wasn't me who he was referring to in that one interview he did.