PR designs for the BPD 1803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Woodhall, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Hey guys, I built my 10.5ft3 (tuned to 18hz) box for my 1803.. It has tons of output but I think it is underported..It sounds like there is port compression or chuffing on loud bass passages (U-571).. Also, the type of pressures in the box, i think is revealing my shortcommings as a woodworker [​IMG].. Not to add to this but the box is about 200lbs..
    Im thinking I might go to a passive radiator box/design to make it smaller and eliminate the port.. Can i achieve the same amount/type of bass as my big ported box in a smaller pr'd box? Is stryke the only company that makes a fairly cheap PR that will work with the 1803? Would I need 3 or would 2 be fine?
    Any favorable alignments you could toss out would be much appreciated as well..
    Thanks,
    Craig
    here is a link to the driver
    http://www.missiondigital.net/product.asp?productid=21

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Craig Woodhall

Jack,

thanks for responding! I am using a 8.25" port, 33 inches long. I did some dado cuts on my box that weren't perfect, I think the pressures in the box are causing the joints to move and the box to flex..

you say that a smaller pr'd box will roll off steeper at the tuning frequency? Couldn't I just tune it low (like 17hz) and use the rumble filter built into my Mackie amp to weed out the real low stuff?

I was thinking about a 22" cube (a box within a box) with a Stryke 18" PR on 3 sides and the 1803 on another.. Using my Mackie in bridged mode and feed it 1400 watts..

Craig

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

5. Craig Woodhall

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Craig,

Sorry I didn't respond to your email as I was out of town most of the weekend. Jack has pretty much summed up everything nicely though!

Brian

7. Craig Woodhall

Thanks Brian!

8. Craig Woodhall

So basically, I wouldn't get as good as output as my vented box.. It would cost me about $700 CDN (3x18PR's)and all I would gain is a bit smaller box? I might just rebuild the box better at a cost of only $100.. It looks like the box I have now is the best for that driver. I might just go to a 10" port and have it come out the enclosure a couple inches..

Craig

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer