What's new

PQ Question (1 Viewer)

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Hitachi 51S500 HD RPTV and a Sony DVP725. When watching a movie it says that I am getting 480p. The TV is obviously capable of 1080p so is the Sony limiting the PQ or do I not understand something? If I want the 1080p do I need to upgrade to a DVD player that has the Faroudja chip, etc like a Denon 2900 or even the 5900 (if funds allow)?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bernie, DVD only resolves 480 lines interlaced. Your Sony 725 deinterlaces the signal and feeds your RPTV a 480p signal. All DVD can give you is 480 lines. Fret not. (There are a couple of players on the market that boost the output to 720p/1080i, but that doesn't mean the DVD has magically begun to resolve that many lines. High def-capable DVD is not on the market yet.)

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Ummmmm......I think the light bulb just went on. That's called up converting isn't it?! Hmmmm....so then a DVD player with Faroujda is up converting the 480p into a 720p/1080i signal. Which, obviously, is the best technology we have available to us at this time, correct?

What's the talk on the street as to when a true hi def DVD player will be on the retail market....assuming I understand all this correctly.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Faroujda does not mean upconverting. Faroujda is just a manufacturer of progressive scan chips, which is only taking the 480i stored and turning it into 480p. Some DVD players, like the 5900, have the Faroujda chip to get a progressive signal, then upconvert.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bernie - Just to make sure you understand, your Hitachi is not capable of displaying 1080p as you mention in your original post. It displays at two scan rates and two scan rates only: 540p and 1080i. Anything other than that coming into the TV is upconverted to one or the other, depending on how you have the set configured. Hitachi calls it "VirtualHD".

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks....but....would someone please explain to me in VERY PWAIN ENGRISH what the i's and p's and Faroujda and conversion and how all that talks to each other.

I am sorry if this has already been talked to death so if there are a few links someone could point me to that would also be very helpful.

I think I want the Denon DVD-2900 (or at least I think I do) but I would really like to understand why I do.....

Also, I am doing this so I can optimize what I have to the fullest. I would hate to find out that I could have had much better PQ or audio the whole time but didn't know how to utilize it.

THanks!!!!

greg_t

Screenwriter
DVD video is 480 interlaced lines of resolution (480i). Progressive scan dvd players contain a device called a deinterlacer, that converts the 480i video on the dvd to 480 progressive (480p). The Farjouda deinterlacer is like all deinterlacers in that it converts 480i to 480p, but is more sophisticated and does a better job than most deinterlacers. You can read the link Don provided for an in depth description of the faroudja chip and it's features.

As Doug stated, your Hitachi TV can do two scan rates, 540p or 1080i. It cannot display 480p nativly. If you send a 480p signal to it, it will "upconvert" to either 540p or 1080i depending on what you have the TV set to do. There are also newer dvd players than can upconvert to 1080i and send that to your TV. Hope this helps some.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
I shall read on and report....thanks but I'm still confused. Am I getting the best PQ possible with what I have or not?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Bernie, you are not getting the best PQ possible with that Sony DVD player - it has a poor de-interlacer and the chroma bug. Just look where the Sony models rate in the secrets benchmark testing, down near the bottom.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Don, I suspected that and I plan on taking some time today and read shootout link you gave me. I am willing and wanting to spend a few bucks to get the most out of my humble but growing equipment so thanks....chroma bug....I have a lot of reading to do.......:frowning:

My instincts are correct but I just don't know where to apply things sometimes...but we're getting there. I am on a need to know basis because when the wife asks, I better have a good reason with the results to show for it. She's all in but worries I'm throwing good money at something we won't appreciate. So far so good though....

The Sony was a cheapy so we had something to watch while I researched the rest of the system. Decent little DVD player for a $110 but as my eyes and ears become more educated, I am realizing new things almost on a daily basis...and this just isn't cuttin the mustard if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, the nature of being an enthusiast always includes the inherent training of the senses (and sensibilities). This also usually equates with more money out of wallet and forever having the "upgrade itch." :frowning:

But that's what makes it so fun!:D

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
My plan is to get the HT dialed in with a few more upgrades and thenNEVER COME BACK TO THIS SITE AGAIN!!! IT'S COSTING ME A SMALL FORTUNE...yea right :rolleyes::laugh:

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Bernie don't feel too bad about starting with that $110 Sony DVD player and later upgrading to a good model. Some of us had to go thru 3 poorer quality DVD models before we got educated and got one like the XP30! I ran out of relatives to give my old DVD players to.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Bernie, just run your DVD player interlaced and let your TV upconvert your signal to 1080i. You might be more pleased with the results.;)

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Don,
I've got the upgrade itch though and a wallet size of about $400-$500. I'm willing and wanting to try to take full advantage of the PQ of the Hitachi (which, IMO...is fantastic even with the Sony). I've got the HK AVR-7200 with a complete Swans setup and Velodyne sub so I just know the audio has got to be better with a better DVD and calibration.

I think I am going to have to stick to component video because the TV only has one DVI and I plan on upgrading to HD DirecTV very soon as well. What are your recommendations at that price point given my equipment? I would like give the Faroudja technology a try as well.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

You can still find a brand-new Panny XP30 for around $300 if you're willing to swallow the fact that it sold for about $100 less when it was readily available. Apparently there's no arguing the picture quality, however.

Other good players include the Denon 910 (though you'll find your share of complaints about this model... usually none having to do about picture quality) and the Denon 1600 which is a discontinued model that you can still find with some searching. The general consensus seems to be that the 1600 has better build quality than the 910.

Another Faroudja-based player would be the Mitsubishi DD8040 which has generally received good reviews.

I think your best bet is to bring home some players in your price range and compare them with your own eyes. Pick the one you like best, Faroudja or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks