PQ on DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by wally, Jun 14, 2005.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

On my travels through other boards, I've read that the Picture Quality of DVD Recorders is not all that good for pre-recorded movies.

If I assume that to be true, it's probably not a good idea to rely on a recorder (Toshiba XS35) as the only DVD player in my system, even though it's progressive.

Most of the reviews I've found are very positive, is that basing it on other recorders PQ wise?

2. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

I'm not sure. I can only tell you that my experience has been that even DVD's recorded on my machine look better to me when played on my DVD player. Most other users report the same thing.

What I would say to you is this:

If you feel the picture quality is acceptable, there wouldn't be any reason to buy a DVD player, other than to save wear and tear on the recorder. In other words, if you don't see a problem don't worry about what others think. It could save you some money.

3. wally

wally Second Unit

Good point Doug, thanks.

4. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Seems to depend on the recorder you have and what other players you are comparing to I guess but here's my experience:

I have two panasonic dvd recorders and the playback of the discs are better than my 3 cyberhomes and 3 panasonic DVD players. A majority of the time, I can't really tell to be honest. Now, the DVD players I have don't exceed $200 and the Cyberhomes are only $50 [​IMG]. When I bought my Panasonic recorders, they were $500-700. All the reviews I've read about the playback of the players are for commercial DVDs rather than DVD-R, +R, RW.

However, It seems to make sense to me that the burned disc from the dvd recorder would playback best on that same recorder, don't you think? Also, keep in mind that whatever recorder you have, the playback of the disc burned with that recorder will be most compatible (e.g., pixels, freeze, artifacts, ect).

When I bought my DVD recorders, I really valued them and didn't want to use them as a playback. Once I discovered that they're doing a better job than other players I have, I'm using them more often now.

5. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"It seems to make sense to me that the burned disc from the dvd recorder would playback best on that same recorder, don't you think?"

All logic would indicate you are correct. Most people's experience would indicate you are incorrect.

As far as commercially recorded viewing goes, I suspect you're right in assuming that the picture quality is most heavily affected by the quality of the players you own being substantially less than your recorders. I also suspect that the picture quality is substantially better than most people get from their players because most people pay less than $200 for their DVD players.

Again I will say, if you're happy with it, don't worry about what others think. You have good DVDR's and they are bound to provide a good quality picture.