PQ of Panny 47" using S-Video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Aug 1, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I asked this question in the long Panny thread, but it got lost. My current DVD player doesn't have component out. Anyone have an idea how DVDs will look connected to S-Video? Thanks.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

It looks great. I have tried my PT-47 with S-video, interlaced component video and progressive component video. Obviously progressive is the way to go but the interlaced component and S-video signals were great as well! I would think you will be happy watching S-video on this set, just be sure to calibrate the set to AVIA and do convergence as out-of-the-box performance tends to range from bad to horrible.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Carlo, by "doing convergence", are you referring to 9-point convergence that people are talking about here? Are there directions to do this, or is it explained in the manual or something? Thanks.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yes, the 9 pt (it's actually 2 steps, a 1 pt. and then an 8 pt.) is explained in the manual and is fairly easy to do. Doing the full 64 pt requires going into the service menu and ordering the service manual ($13 shipped from Panny). If you're a novice and are unwilling to monkey with the set, that may not be for you. If you've done the 9pt and still notice some really off convergence, I think you're within your right to call Panny up and demand a convergence by a factory authorized technician.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

5. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Carlo! I am a novice, but after tinkering with my WEGA's geometry for the last month (WEGA is going back for the Panny), I'm looking forward to tinkering (carefully) with this one.