What's new

Powerstrip... widescreen thru s-video?? (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I just got a computer hooked up to my home theater. It's great to have all our music on tap like that.

I have a question tho. I have a radeon card w/ vga, dvi, and s-video out. I have a philips direct view HD TV 30". Right now I'm not using my ATI DVI-to-component adapter 'cause it's causing odd magenta lines to appear on all inputs.

Anyways... is there a way to change my resolution over the s-video using powerstrip so that it's a 16:9 image? I'd love to be able to use the whole screen. Thanks.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
No, at least I am reasonably sure no....S-Video is 480i and only 4:3....I am not aware of anyway to manipulate it to 16:9 natively....I am sure someone will pipe in with the technical reasons soon enough....or correct me ;)

You have to figure out the component problem and fix it to get what you want....

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
A cheap one I bought at Microcenter.... I believe the maker is Powerspec, and it's powered by the 9250.

DVI, S-video, and VGA. 128mb ram. Not a bad deal for 40 bucks for a non-gaming system.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Aspect ratio is not native to S-video or composite. For instance, there are anamorphic 16:9 widescreen "squeeze" LaserDiscs, which is a baseband NTSC recording format, and anamorphic DVDs can be shown over a composite or S connection just fine. You should not be able to get more than "480i" resolution, but you should be able to squeeze your screenshape although it may prove tricky. Try simply setting your resolution to 480*853.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I asked the model to help diagnose the DVI to Component adapter problem. Unfortunately, the 92xx series is not supported for the adapter and is the reason you are getting the magenta stripe problem. You need a 95xx series or higher to use your dongle.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Problem with that is: on my 'main' computer I have a 9600 and that is the one with the magenta lines. I haven't tried it with the 9250 yet. Sorry for any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks