Powerpuff Girls Movie- why did Warner Brothers even bother

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_H, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Keith_H

Keith_H Auditioning

I just picked up a copy of "The Powerpuff Girls Movie", I did not realize until I got home it was another of Warner Brothers "Pan and Scan" titles. It is a great movie and it even has deleted scenes that are widescreen but the movie is "Full Frame". I would have thought Warner Brothers would have learned after all the noise that was made with "Willy Wonka" and "Cats And Dogs". I have even applauded Warner Brothers recent efforts to release titles in both a "Full Frame" and "Widescreen" version giving consumers a choice of viewing experience. Why they chose to release "The Powerpuff Girls Movie" strictly in a "Pan And Scan" format is beyond me, I am very disappointed by Warner Brothers. All I can say is Warner Brothers if this is the best you can do then why did you even bother?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Because it'll make Cartoon Network's version look better.

The widescreen version will be produced by Cartoon Network, so wait for that.

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Has it even been officially confirmed yet?

4. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

IMO, I believe that Powerpuff Girls in only avaliable in Pan & Scan because Warner believes that kids only want Pan & Scan (aka Fullscreen & Full-Frame).

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

6. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

May I remind you that (IIRC) Warner Bros. Family Entertainment is NOT Warner Home Video, the company that's been putting out great discs of films like Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago, Amadeus, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and North By Northwest, and is distributing discs like the Chaplin discs coming out next year. IIRC, WB Family Entertainment is a wholly separate unit of Warner Bros., with its own video division, who simply distributes its videos/DVDs through the main Warner Home Video unit. So the issue of full frame only should be blamed on WB Family Entertainment, and not Warner Home Video itself.

7. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Then the next time anyone talks to Warner could we remind them of the kids out there with zealot fathers with widescreen TV sets.[​IMG]

9. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

What makes it worse is that kids don't care whether it's full screen or widescreen. They don't even look at the "black bars". It's nutty parents that make it a problem.

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

11. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I think it prolly because of CN that it's full screen. I watch that channel all the time I mean all the time. And I've noticed that cartoons that were done in Cinescope have been cut to full screen. The opening credits are wide screen and when the cartoon starts they go to p&s. You can see this in Bugs bunny cartoon, Tom & Jerry, all the ones they used to show in the theater. you'll see parts of words chopped off and you cant' read it. It's annoying some times. I think Eugene is correct in that CN thinks kids want to see cartoons in P&S.

Daniel Smith

12. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

wrong. kids don't know sh*t so whatever we put them to see they watch. and they get used to that. since i was young, i was watching widescreen movies, so i got used to it until today.

13. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

14. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Remember that everyone is different. There are people who won't watch Widescreen movies (these people range in age from the very young up to the elderly). IMO, there are young people who only like pan & scan.

The problem is that certain studios believe that kids or maybe families want to see movies in pan & scan. Why is that there are a good amount of DVD's from Disney avaliable only in pan & scan? IMO, that reason why there are a good amount of pan & scan DVD's from Disney is that, IMO, they believe that kids/families only want pan & scan.

The Powerpuff Girls movie in on DVD in pan & scan because, IMO, Warner believes that the Powerpuff Girls fans want the movie in pan & scan (a good amount of Powerpuff Girls fans are young people)

I will not purchase this DVD because it is in pan & scan. I just hope that the rumors about Cartoon Network bringing out the Powerpuff Girls movie on DVD in Widescreen is true because I will only buy this movie if in OAR.

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'd have bought a copy for my niece by now were it not for the deviation from OAR.

I guess WB figures it's a 'TV cartoon' movie, so it can be delivered like a TV production. BUT it's a theatrical release, so nothing but Widescreen will do.

If and when this CN version comes to pass, count me in.

16. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

17. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

18. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I love the PPG but this will be no sale for me. I may pick it up used unless the correct version comes out.

19. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I hated to do it, but I ended purchasing it. I have serious doubts that sales would justify re-releasing a WS version. This movie should have come out when PPG's were at there peak.