What's new

Powerpuff Girls Movie in P&S! NO! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
DVDToons have the details of the upcoming Powerpuff Girls DVD Link Removed
Notice how it specifically says 'Pan and Scan' and not 'Full Frame'.
I can't believe this for two reasons -
1) What the hell do we have to do to let Warners know that any movie, not matter what the subject is, or how popular it was at the cinema needs to be released on DVD in it's original aspect ratio.
2) Why do Warners constantly put down their own product? The Powerpuff Girls is more than just a dumb cartoon for the kids - it appeals to all ages.
So please Warner, please release a widescreen version. (I'm sure you could fit both transfers on the same disc in-fact)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB probably has the template on the page. This film was made at 1.33:1, but later matted to 1.85:1 in theaters. Also, many pages on all studios will have the same info for VHS and DVD until final specs are in. The VHS is most likely pan & scan, but the DVD probably is matted correctly. You can probably expect the DVD to have the preferred aspect ratio of the filmmakers...

After all...why would it have 2.0 stereo? The film was released with 5.1 sound. That's a dead giveaway that the format info is from a template.

Words of wisdom: WAIT FOR OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASES OR REVIEWS

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
One of my co-workers has OAR-Educated kids.

He bought them the OAR version of Harry Potter. He's been borrowing movies from me for a long time. His kids are used to the idea of black bars and never complained about them.

He recently got a 52" TV, so of course his kids wanted to watch all their DVDs again. Then he caught one of his sons (I'm not sure if it was the 5 year old or the 7 year old one) messing around with the remote because there was to him a problem with the TV, his Air Bud DVD (The one from cereal boxes) was missing black bars!!!!!! If only he filmed it with his camera! I would have made a MPEG of it, typed some English Sub-Titles amd sent it to Warner.

Even kids want OAR!!!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My sig speaks for itself. I love the Powerpuff Girls. This title is number three on my most wanted list (right behind Attack of the Clones and Sopranos season 3). If it's released in anything but OAR I will not buy it.

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also a fan of the Powerpuff Girls and will not buy the movie unless it is in anamorphic widescreen.

Brion

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Count me out if this release is Pan n Scan, despite being my favourite cartoon ever!

No OAR = No Sale!

Ross

James Reader

Screenwriter
More details have emerged... including two versions of the film but it is telling that no aspect ratio as been mentioned.

If they go to the trouble of calling one the theatrical version, you would expect it to be in widescreen, wouldn't you?

We will have to wait for further information.

(As a side note, is anyone getting annoyed with all these duel release discs - 'rated' and 'unrated', 'theatrical' and 'clean' etc.) Can't people just use seemless branching and if need be parental lock?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yes, multiple releases are totally unnecessary- this probably doesn't apply to something like Powerpuff Girls, but I'd like to see more discs include BOTH the theatrical AND "unrated" versions on the SAME disc- put out ones with just the theatrical versions for the stores that won't carry unrated material if need be, but use the capabilities of the format!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks