What's new

Powerline Adapters (1 Viewer)

Deekay

Grip
Real Name
Dee Kos
My 10 year-old Cisco power line adapter just fried, after working great throughout its life. Need to replace it, but can't find one that fits my needs.

Cisco pair had one unit with one ethernet port to plug into my router. The second unit had four ports, three of which I use in a distant room for Apple TV streaming box, TV itself, and blu-ray player.

Now all I see at best buy and amazon are units that have only two ports. But many also have ac power receptacles on them.

Could I get a third unit, piggy-back two of them into each other at the distant end in order to have four ports (i.e., plug the "male" end of one unit into the wall socket, and plug the other unit into the power receptacle on that unit that is plugged into the wall)? Would all four ethernet ports on the two units work? Would it be safe from an electricity standpoint?

Other than going wireless, anyone have any good suggestions on either particular hardware options, or other ways to meet this need?

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
Rick Austinson
I've worked in IT/networking for 15 years so this is a question I'm actually qualified to answer.

What you had before was a device that had a built-in ethernet switch at the far end. There was nothing special about that adapter, it just had a switch built in. There might still be something similar on the market, but the really easy answer for you is to just buy an inexpensive network switch. Something like this:

$15, 4 ports. You would also need a short cat5 cable to go from the powerline adapter. You could then use any old powerline adapter and the switch.

Deekay

Grip
Real Name
Dee Kos
I've worked in IT/networking for 15 years so this is a question I'm actually qualified to answer.

What you had before was a device that had a built-in ethernet switch at the far end. There was nothing special about that adapter, it just had a switch built in. There might still be something similar on the market, but the really easy answer for you is to just buy an inexpensive network switch. Something like this:

$15, 4 ports. You would also need a short cat5 cable to go from the powerline adapter. You could then use any old powerline adapter and the switch.

Rick that's awesome advice -- thank you. (FYI, your attachment just displayed the Amazon home page, not the specific product example you were describing.)

The unit that fried was actually the one plugged into my router. So do I just buy one network switch to replace the one by the router and keep the old unit at the far end? Or, do I buy two network switches and put one at each end? Do network switches have to be same brand and model in order to work with each other?

As you can see, I have no expertise on this, so I'm most grateful for you sharing yours.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rick that's awesome advice -- thank you. (FYI, your attachment just displayed the Amazon home page, not the specific product example you were describing.)

The unit that fried was actually the one plugged into my router. So do I just buy one network switch to replace the one by the router and keep the old unit at the far end? Or, do I buy two network switches and put one at each end? Do network switches have to be same brand and model in order to work with each other?

As you can see, I have no expertise on this, so I'm most grateful for you sharing yours.
You should only need a single ethernet switch to replace the device in the distant room. You will also need two new power line adapters of the same brand, as they work in pairs.

Deekay

Grip
Real Name
Dee Kos
You should only need a single ethernet switch to replace the device in the distant room. You will also need two new power line adapters of the same brand, as they work in pairs.
Scott, thank you and bear with me as I endeavor to ensure I understand what both Rick and you have said.

To confirm: I believe you're saying that I need to buy a matched set of two powerline adapters (i.e., same brand/model), AND one network switch.

One power line adapter would plug into my router. On the distant end, the network switch would plug into the other powerline adapter, and in turn, I would plug the three devices (TV, Blu-ray player, and Apple TV streaming box) into the network switch. Do I have that right?

Many thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, thank you and bear with me as I endeavor to ensure I understand what both Rick and you have said.

To confirm: I believe you're saying that I need to buy a matched set of two powerline adapters (i.e., same brand/model), AND one network switch.

One power line adapter would plug into my router. On the distant end, the network switch would plug into the other powerline adapter, and in turn, I would plug the three devices (TV, Blu-ray player, and Apple TV streaming box) into the network switch. Do I have that right?

Many thanks!
Yes, that is correct.

Deekay

Grip
Real Name
Dee Kos
I use these D-Link 5-port switches in my home connected to my eero mesh WiFi connectors. They are inexpensive and compact.
Todd, thanks for weighing in.

After receiving the benefit of the advice given here, found a good package deal on Amazon: a pair of TP-Link AV2000 powerline adapters (TL-PA9020P Kit) bundled with a TP-Link 5 port network switch (TL-SG105).

With reviews on just about everything scattered all over the continuum these days -- hoping these choices work out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks