What's new

Powerless (NBC) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't know if Jack O Lantern is in the DC universe but Marvel has a JoL but he is different from this DC one.

Starro was in the first issue of JLA but it looked like they blew him up here.
From what I know CF is a very minor character in DC.

Anyway I liked the show and will keep watching.

I see there is a character named Marv Wolfman in the imdb list of characters too

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Very shaky pilot that didn't quite click. But I like most of the cast and will give it a chance to gel.
That's how I feel as well. Not too many laughs, but I liked the actors.

The concept behind Vanessa Hudgens's character is strong, basically a Leslie Knope type dropped into the world of superheroes, but her role in the pilot was to play that insufferable young person with impeccable academic credentials dropped into a position of authority over people with far more experience. Hopefully as she settles into her role, we'll see a bit more characterization emerge. It was fun to see Jimmy Olsen himself, Marc McClure, pop up as her father.

Ron Funches is basically just playing a version of himself, which is fine because that man is a national treasure.

Danny Pudi is playing a Danny Pudi character, like Abed but less Aspergersy and more cynical. All we learned about him in the pilot is that he's passionate about product colors, but hopefully future episodes will give him more to do.

I've never cared much for Christina Kirk, but she was fine here. She definitely conveyed the hell that is being Van Wayne's secretary.

Speaking of Van Wayne, Alan Tudyk was the highlight of the pilot as the disappointing cousin of the great Bruce Wayne, in a position of authority through sheer nepotism. If Gotham is New York City, Charm City must be like Buffalo; a big city if you come from flyover country, but horribly far from the action if you've been exiled.

The best part was that wonderful credits sequence, which captured the concept behind the show without a single word. And the Adam West narration was a nice touch, too. If the "Supergirl" universe is Earth-38, this is probably Earth-37 or Earth-39.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't think there was ever any rhyme or reason to the numbering of the earths. This could be Earth-265

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also the first preview video that aired awhile back had this company as an insurance company and Tyduk was not a Wayne.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We just watched this tonight and weren't impressed. None of the actors created a character that interested me. Will give it a couple more chances to improve, but it's got a long ways to go for us.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind staring at Vanessa Hudgens for a sitcom, but I'm not optimistic of its renewal chances.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My hope is this pulls a Good Place and turns out to be amazing.

But The Goid Place had laugh-out-loud scenes from the get go.

Powerless just felt amateurish. Still, fingers crossed.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Good Place was a fully formed season unlike Powerless, which has already been retooled. I don't think there's much of a chance it's going to get appreciably better, but I'll hold out hope.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Good Place was a fully formed season unlike Powerless, which has already been retooled. I don't think there's much of a chance it's going to get appreciably better, but I'll hold out hope.
It's being changed? How so? It did need improving. Any idea what episode the changes will show up?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's being changed? How so? It did need improving. Any idea what episode the changes will show up?
The pilot shown at San Diego Comic Con was set at an insurance company and not a Wayne Industries subsidiary. The tone and set up was changed, and the consensus is that it went from a quirky, fun show into the mess you saw last week.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The pilot shown at San Diego Comic Con was set at an insurance company and not a Wayne Industries subsidiary. The tone and set up was changed, and the consensus is that it went from a quirky, fun show into the mess you saw last week.
Oh, I had thought you meant it was being changed from what we saw last week. That does not bode well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Powerless wasn't high on my list of shows to watch, but I had a spare half hour this weekend. It's not bad, but Episode 1 didn't grab me. That's typical for my track record with new shows. (I felt the same way about The Good Place throughout the entire season.) I'm in for the season run, mostly because of Tudyk. There's just enough humor in the televised version and winks toward DC history for me. Now, it does have to get better, or funnier, as the case may be.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Episode 2 capsule review:

Ugh.

You liked it better than I did. When it was over my wife asked me what I thought of it. I said that I considered leaving the room during the middle of the episode. She said "Good." So I think I can drop this one off my list.

I will however check back next week to see if the new episode has improved. Er, .. I meant check back to this thread, not the show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A feature article in the new issue of Sci-Fi magazine mentioned the insurance angle and the different character played by Alan Tudyk. Either the changes were last-minute, or the article was written a while ago.

Haven't watched Ep 2 yet, but based on the above reactions I may delete it unseen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The first half of Episode 2 was a low-quality Dilbert knock off with a superhero facade. But the second half, I was laughing at the jokes. I have space for a lightweight, brainless sitcom. So I'll keep in the TiVo and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks