powering speakers throughout house

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chad Heffner, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Chad Heffner

Chad Heffner Auditioning

I have a Denon 1802 powering my current HT system but I want to add speakers through out my house. A pair of speakers in 6 rooms. I already wired to each area using 16 gauge speaker wire. I bought a Phoenix Gold 6 zone speaker selector and hooked it up to Channel B, then I tried playing 3 pairs plus the speakers on channel A. I really didn't think it would work that great but didn't expect to smell burning electrical! Should have known better! Amateur! How can I make this work? Another Amp?
    Any help for this rookie would be greatly appreciated!

2. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chad,

I have it set up like this, the recievers left and right channel go into the connecting blocks (EZB-1+EZB-2 made by russound). A wire (16-4)is ran from the connecting block to each of the 8 volume controls (ALTX-2D also made by russound) from there a wire is run to each speaker. Allowing you to control the volume in each zone (or room). I know you already have the speaker selector but with this set-up you'll be able to control the volume in each room. The volume controls & connecting blocks cost about 40$ a piece.

I've had it hooked up like this for about a year. The receiver seems to handle it fine. I have a small fan in the closet with the receiver to help control the heat. I never really put it up to loud it's more for back-round music. Another thing I did was run cat-5 with all the speaker wire because Some time in the future I plan to upgrade. I have 2 pictures of the closet showing the connections + a picture of the speaker and v-control in my dining room in the HT gallery. I have since added a cd player and neated it up.(in the picture its very messy looking) If you have any questions let me know

john

3. Chad Heffner

Chad Heffner Auditioning

Thanks John! Volume control would be a big bonus! I'll give it a try. What is cat-5?

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

cat5 is network cable. It is used to link computers together, or in your application, as a control for keypads.

5. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

The v-controls I suggested don't use cat-5. I ran it with the speaker wire just in case I needed it for future use. I got a lot of the text I used on this post from another post I had. I guess I should have edited better.

Good luck