Powering outdoor Nile Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by davidLL, Jun 25, 2006.

1. davidLL

davidLL Auditioning

I own a Marantz SR-19 Receiver which has multi room capabilities but I dont know what to buy to power the outdoor speakers I purchased.I had an old Vector Research which I was going to use but it just died and repairing it will cost $160. I really dont want to spend a ton of money ($250).Should I buy a used power amp? If so what am I looking for? I really need some advice!

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have Niles OS-20s outside for about 8-9 yrs. I got them vs. others in the Niles outdoor line partially due to their efficiency (besides the way they are made). I am using an old Sony 444ES rec'r (about 100W) along with an Adcom speaker switcher (feeding multiple places) which loses some power and I don't have a huge yard. With outside noise, I'd say I'm just a hair over the minimum. In my situation, when I eventually upgrade the rec'r, I'll be looking at that amt. of power at a minimum to power the outdoor speakers. The outdoor speakers are fed from the bedroom system and if I was not powering outdoor speakers I could get by with a drop less power. I'd try the rec'r on the outdoor speakers on a temporary basis to see how its power does in the spot you will place them. Then you can look at options that are better suited to your particular situation (e.g. amt. of outside noise, size of yard, how loud you play them, etc.)

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    David,

As Phil noted, it won’t take much to power your Niles speakers. I’d go to a pawn shop and get the cheapest stereo receiver you can find. You’ll probably get out for $50 or even less.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ubid - check for Audiosource amps, they have some great deals on refurbs and they are very decent little amps, some for less than $100.