What's new

Powering on system with receiver? how to? (1 Viewer)

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a yamaha receiver that has a AC outlet on the back which I could plug in my old Sony Wega...

Now I have switched to the Westinghouse 42w2 model and it has a three prong plug so it doesn't fit...what does everyone do that wants to have their TV power on with the receiver when there is an issue like this?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You should NEVER plug a TV or any other device into the switched outlets on a receiver that draws more than the stated power. Tape players or DVD players are OK. TVs and powered subs are not.

I turn on a receiver, projector, two DVD players and two DirecTV DVR's with a single button on my Harmony 880 remote.

-Robert

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I use a combination of a power center with switched outlets and 12v triggers to get everything to turn on/off with my processor.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
so it is advised not to run the power from the tv this way? okay glad i asked b/c i was going to take a power strip and plug in my tv and dvd player...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was putting "NEVER" in all caps not enough? NEVER EVER connect a TV, powered sub or any other high current electrical device into the switched outlets on your receiver.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Corey, what model Yamaha receiver do you have? Many of them have a remote that can run “macros” – that is, transmit several commands in sequence to turn on the TV, DVD player, etc. If not, there are aftermarket remotes you can get that will do that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
okay got ya...NEVER!! lol

I have the yamaha HTR-5840, when i get home i'll check the owners manual and see if it will do it

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If not, the Harmony remotes as recommended above can do what you are looking for one-touch. They have remotes at various price points, but all have that functionality.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
I will end up getting the Harmony 880...ive seen some pretty good deals on the unit! I really like the RF capabilities of the 890...it would be fun to have the AV equipment "hidden" but not worth the $$$ to be that different :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks