Powering Off Powered Towers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert M. Moran, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Robert M. Moran

Robert M. Moran Auditioning

For those of you who own or know anything about powered towers - here's a question for you. How often do you shut off your powered speakers? Every time you use them? Every so often? Never?

My question stems from the fact that I just purchased a pair of Infinity IL50 speakers. When in use the bass volume dial on the front glows green, when not in use it glows red. I am guessing the red is a sort of "sleep mode" but I'm not sure if the speakers are still using electricity. The power switch is located in the back of the speaker and based on that, I guess I would believe that if they were meant to be turned on and off with every use, the switch would be located in a more convenient place. My main concern is avoiding any potential long-term damage by leaving the powered towers on all the time.

2. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure you want to leave them on all the time. Most powered subs for example are designed this way. Amplifier circuits typically can run for years. The only times you'd want to turn them off might be if you're going on an extended vacation or you've got a thunderstorm on your hands.