Powering Mains From Separate Amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andre Cha, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Andre Cha

Andre Cha Auditioning

I am not very home theatre saavy. I have a Pioneer Elite vsx49i that I am running in 7 channel format. My front two mains are Carvers and they are very inefficient. I am running preout from my Pioneer receiver to a Carver amplifier that is powering the Carver speakers. Still not enough power so I am wanting to add a second Carver amp and mono block or bi-amp.
    Any suggestions and how do I do this?

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

What model Carver amp do you have?

Also what model Carver speakers?

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Are these your speakers AL III's dipoles?
    * Anechoic Frequency Response: 34Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB
    * Impedance: Nominal 4 ohms
    * Sensitivity: 86 dB ref. to 1 watt at 1 meter
    * Crossover: 150 Hz
    * Ribbon Driver: 48-inch dipole ribbon
    * Woofer: 10-inch Quasi-butterworth 3rd order aligned
    woofer system, which fires downward in a circular pattern.
    * Recommended Power: Up to 500 watts per channel
    65 watts minimum, 8 ohm rates.
    * Net Weight: 80 lbs. each
    * Shipping Weight: 96 lbs. each
    * Dimensions: 14.5Wx16.5Dx72.5H
    * Suggested retail price: $1,000 each/$2,000 pair

If these are the speakers you have or you have some similar speaker then the problem could be the efficiancy of the speakers. these suckers are power hungry.

4. Andre Cha

Andre Cha Auditioning

The Amp is a 4.0T. The speakers are Amazing Silvers which are dipole.
    The amp I am looking at purchasing is actually a TFM45 which I understand is sonically identical to my 4.0.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If these two amplifiers are truly sonically identical (it seems they would be with the same power ratings and technology that is used) then I would get 2 quality one female-to-2-male adapters and bi-wire the right speaker with one amplifier and the left speaker with the other, and here is why. If you bridge the amplifier and use one set of speaker cables to conect to the speaker this increases resistance. If you bi-wire the speakers you can use two sets of equal length speaker wire for each speaker there will be less resistance. The costs are speaker wire, 2: fem-2male adapters, and more unsightly wires.

I hope all this helps. If you can't get more interconnects right away you could try bridging the amps now and when you select the cable try to find a place that will take them back if there isn't a noticable difference in the sound.

Seth=L

6. Andre Cha

Andre Cha Auditioning

I checked my receiver last eve and there is only one set of preouts for the mains. I also checked my speakers and there is only one set of inputs so I am not too sure how I would bi-wire?
    It looks to me like my only option is to buy Y adaptors for my preouts in the receiver.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I'm sorry. I thought the speakers were capable of being bi-wired. In this case just Bridge each amp (turning it into a monoblock) so only one speaker terminal of each amp is used. So you need not buy more wire or the y adapters. You only need the new amp to upgrade. Note once the the Amps are bridged they are each capable of delivering 1000 watts.

Hope this helps

Seth=L

8. Andre Cha

Andre Cha Auditioning

You have been a big help thank you very much!
    How do I actually go about bridging the amps...you are talking to a guy who knows very little about this stuff! I will still need Y adaptors for my pre outs in my receiver will I not?

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    First, confirm that these amps are bridgeable, as not all amps are rated to do so. Then you would connect the + from one channel and the - of the other channel to the speaker.

10. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The tfm45 is bridgable and if these amps are identical the 4.0 should be bridgable as well. The back of the the amp may have a showing you how to bridge the amp. There may be a switch that say stereo/mono or it may say stereo/bridge. If the switch is in the mono or bridge position then it will only output a monorail signal. More times than not when the amp is bridged it uses the left input from a RCA jack and then outputs through the left speaker terminals. It is a also possible these amps in a round about way bridge themselves. Carver used a technology call Power Steering that would divert all power not being used to the channel that was demanding the surplus of power. I do not know if this is the case with the amplifiers in question though. Oh, and I don't think you will need the y adapters.
    Post me back and tell me what you find.

Seth=L