powering M&K 4ohm/89sensitivity

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, Jan 23, 2002.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering if I'll have sufficient amplification for running 3 M&K s150s (89 sens./4ohm) and 2 M&K 550 surrounds (8ohm) clean (minimal distortion) at reference level.

I have a denon 3802 (rated only w/8ohms and 6 ohms on the specs) running the center channel and the 2 surrounds & a denon POA 5200 (120x2) for my 2 fronts.

I don't want to run out and get new amplification if I get these speakers. Please give me your opinions-

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

The denon will power them although the M&K's will sound better with more power! I powered my M&K's for a short time with a denon 3200.

3. jason celaya

I'm not familar with the 3200...Is it the same as a 3802 w/ a outboard 2 ch. amp?

My Denon 5200 is rated a 200wpc x 2 into 4ohms which seems like it should be fine...It's the 3802 running 1 speaker @ 4 ohms and 2 surronds at 8ohms.

I do aspire to get a good pre/pro set up in the next two years...in the meantime i dont want to be just barely "getting by"

4. Brian Corr

The 3200 is an older model. Something like 80x5. The 3802 should be fine.

5. jason celaya

Any issue withe the reciever running 1 speaker that is rated at 4 ohms and the other 2 at 8ohms?

6. jason celaya

Anyone?

7. Brian Corr

Shouldn't be a problem. Give it a try, the receiver will more than likely shut down if it is overloaded but you would probably have to play it at loud volumes for an extended period of time.

You may know this but it is best sonically to match all your speakers, at least use the same brand if you can.

8. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

This is interesting stuff. Opens my eyes a bit!

So, theoretically, let's pretend I know NOTHING about Ohms (I know some, but not a lot!). I do know that the "standard" seems to be 8 ohms. So, if I run an 8 ohm rated speaker with a 8 ohm rated amp, that's a perfect match, correct?

My receiver does 8 ohms on all channels. I am interested in buying the 150 series M&K speaker system. All the speakers in that series are rated at 4 ohm. Is this good, bad, or indifferent? I currently own a Yamaha 2095 receiver.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm glad someone brought this up because I had no idea the 150's were 4 ohm! I thought they were 8!

Is there a good reason why M&K chose 4 ohm? I guess I just don't understand. Anyone care to help me out?

Thanks!

Chris

9. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Cool, I just noticed that I can switch to 4 ohms on my Yamaha 2095. So I guess I could drive the M&K 150's okay. I love this receiver, but I do know I'll need to upgrade my receiver to get the most out of the M&K's. Separates are my next upgrade.