Powering LEDs...?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MikeGee, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Hey guys, i'm thinking about doing a custom LED lighting setup for my HT room now. I figured i wanted some colored lights and LEDS are super cheap to buy and power. Just curious tho.

I am kinda curious as to how i'd be able to power these lights by having it plug into the wall. I'm thinking using an old computer power supply and wiring it up to that. Just wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and has pics of how i could do the wiring.

http://www.thevospad.com/gallery/gallery.htm
    I got some pretty cool ideas from that website.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You might find some information here:
    http://www.superbrightleds.com

or here:
    http://www.theledlight.com

What sort of lights are you looking at? I've seen under-cabinet puck-style lights at my local warehouse home-improvement store. They're plain white, though.. but, with some modification you could probably introduce colored LED's to 'em. They come with a transformer and sort of a modular transformer that you can tap multiple lights into.

The problem is, superbright LED's are a little expensive to experiement with.

If cool lighting is what you're looking for, you should check out www.lighttape.com I don't know how much it costs, but it's cool as hell. [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    All you need is an AC adaptor (wall wart) with the correct voltage and amperage. Clip off the plug and solder the leads to the LED. The LED should have its power requirements on the package it comes in.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Wayne, thats a great idea, and i'd use a resistor before the LED and then connect the rest of the LED's in series. I think that sounds like an idea. I have a box of adapters to try it out with. thanks

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Try also just going to Target and getting strings of christmas lights that use LEDs - Phillips makes some nice ones, strings of white, strings of blue, and strings of multi-color.

and they just plug into the wall, nothing fancy.

(Catch: they can't be dimmed with an SCR-type dimmer, unless (perhaps) you have a "ghost load" on the circuit - a 25w A-lamp somewhere or something like that.)

Leo

6. Scott_Vonhof

Scott_Vonhof Agent

Mike, just make sure you don't overpower these babies. Use the proper resistors to match the voltage and the overall resistance of the LED's.

I put some LED's on my motorcycle (more brake lights since the aftermarkets ones on there are hard to see) and while a fun project, it took some time to figure it all out and learn how to solder electrical!

BTW, post pics when you are done!