What's new

Powering dual Shivas with old Sony receiver (1 Viewer)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to use my old Sony D711 Pro Logic receiver to power my new box Shiva subs for the time being.
My question is what is the best way to do this? I will have each voice coil wired to a separate pair of posts. Here are three ideas that I have come up with.
1) Connect one coil from each driver to one channel of the receiver. This will create a stable 8Ohm load that the Sony can probably handle. This is a simple solution that I expect to at least get stable operation from.
2) Short the coils together on each driver and connect both coils from each driver to one channel of the receiver. This will create a 4Ohm load that the Sony probably can not handle at high volumes (on the Sony) with out shutting down. However, if I turn down the volume (on the Sony) to the point that the Sony is stable, could this actually push the subs to higher SPLs due to the greater efficiency of powering both coils?
3) Wire the L and R output from the receiver's A channel to one sub, and the L and R output from the receiver's B channel to the other. This would have all four coils powered and would give the Sony an 8Ohm load to each channel. It it a viable idea to use both the A & B channels at the same time? I know that they will both work at the same time, but will I get more usable power? I would imagine that the power supply is already pushed to close to it's limit with just two channels cranked up. If I run the A & B at the same time will they put out the same amount of current?
I will try to test each way and find out. Does anyone have any opinions as to which way would work the best? I can always start saving for the Samson amp.

Julian Data

Second Unit
I say number 1
Just be sure to use the sub out of your current receiver to an Y adapter to the old Sony.
jd
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks