Powering a projector question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tracy_L, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Tracy_L

Tracy_L Stunt Coordinator

Jan 11, 2003

Building my second theater, first time with a projector. I have bought a Monster MPHTS3500 power conditioner and would like to run all of my components thru it, including my projector. I am planning on having a dedicated circuit run to where my in wall rack will be (attic space behind that wall, so should be a fairly simple install). The Monster will be powered from this circuit from the attic space side of the wall. My projector is an InFocus In72. Haven't received it yet, but i assume that it will come with a short power cord to plug into a ceiling outlet.

I would like to somehow power the outlet in the ceiling from the available outlets on the Monster. Anyone have any suggestions on the logistics of powering this way? The thought I have is maybe a m/m cord from the Monster to an outlet near the Monster that then runs to the ceiling outlet where the projector will be installed. That makes a total of two outlets in line to the projector. Anyone see any probelms w/this design?

2. jimLi

jimLi Auditioning

Apr 27, 2006
    I see a problem and that is the male to male power cord. This could easily short and could easily harm someone. I would install an outlet near the projector and run the wire back to the power conditioner but instead of terminating at a box just put a male plug on the end to plug into the conditioner. Note: I am not an electrician so I don't know if this would violate any codes.

Personally I wouldn't bother plugging the projector into the conditioner but would instead plug into a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) this way if your power goes out while watching movies the projector will stay on long enough to be switched off and properly cool.
  3. Adam Gregorich

Nov 20, 1999