What's new

powering 2 shiva IB (1 Viewer)

ScottDIY

Agent
How much power would be required to run a pair of shiva's in an IB setup. How much power before the reach x-max in an IB setup?

KyleGS

Second Unit
Using WinISD Pro I'm looking at around 100w per driver @ 20hz to reach xmax. You may want to protect them with a subsonic filter below 20hz or so.

LspCAD is showing similar results.

G'luck

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Not alot. I blew up and rebuilt my entire set up. I am now running 2 Shivas in an IB. They bottom out fairly easily listening to music. However, I have not had them do it during movies. I have not measured power nor the in room FR. Suffice it to say, they have reached 110 dB in my 3200 ft^3 basement room. I am using an old Pioneer Pro Logic receiver with 125 W per coil or 500 W total. Mind you this is the smoothest bass (by ear) that I have had. Just when you think you have found sonic utopia..... I have also had these Shivas in sealed, ported and TL arrangements.

ScottDIY

Agent
Thanks for the reply, I am running a 75l sealed DPL12 with my nad 3150 (~65 watts/coil) I find that this setup has no problem producing enough spl for me and I might add that it also sound great. But, I think I caught the DIY bug, I want to try my hand at another project. I have the perfect location to experiment with an IB and thought that if I could cut the cost if the nad could produce enough power. My entertainment room is on the main level and I have a ~ 12”x15” heating duct beside my left main. I thought that I could pull duct and use this access for experimenting.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I use the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp to power two IB Dayton 15" subs in an IB alignment. I reached 110db at 16hz. Flat response from 16hz - 125hz. I didn't try test tones below 16hz, hmmm, there's a project for the weekend.

Truly incredible.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you don't already have the drivers I suggest getting a pair of 15"s instead of 12"s.

ScottDIY

Agent
15", ok I'll watch for a sale. I guess i was thinking 12 because of the location that I want to put the IB. it's 12"x15" with the 15" side hard against the wall. would it cause a problem if the mouth/opening was slightly maller than the sub box.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

The 12" Shiva runs $125 each (shipped)
The 15" I.B. subwoofer by Dayton @ Parts Express runs $119.00 plus shipping.

I'm not sure if Parts Express ever has this particular driver on sale or not.

ScottDIY

Agent
$119 sounds good, but I am concerned with shipping cost, exchange and duty. I seam to be limited in what I can find here in Canada. I may have to brake down, but when your looking at 45 -60% increase.:thumbsdown:
I have heard of the 15" I.B. Dayton, how do they work compaired to the Tempest. I can get one for $202.00 can. I thought that I would watch them for a sale. the 119 Dayton would be 160 can + shipping + duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks