Powerful sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CalvinCarr, Jun 17, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I have been looking at subs lately and have come across some with amps rated at 1200 watts and higher. Does anyone have one? Would you really need that much power? What is considered the lowest power output you would want for a typical HT?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

1- I have a total of 1200w RMS driving my subs.

2- I do (not ALL the time). It depends on the size and acoustics of the room, the efficiency and location of the sub as well as how loud you play.

3- Although there's no "typical" HT and many factors come into play (see #2 above) if your really want a minimum wattage figure for a sub, it will be somewhere around the 50w RMS figure.

Remember that if you double the power to a speaker you will only get a 3dB increase in output. (not a lot)

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Most of the time, kilowatt amps are used for small subs. Is the power required? Yes, because all that extra power is needed to properly equalize the undersized subwoofer in order to achieve a respectable level of extension. Do not automatically associate high amp ratings with higher output.

Hoffman's Iron Law states that a subwoofer can only have two of three things: small enclosure size, efficiency, and extension.

With those small subs, extension is maintained at the expense of efficiency. So even with all that power, the output might just be comparable to a large sub that only gets 100W.

4. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

So a small sub with a big amp = a large sub with a smaller amp?