What's new

Powered tower as my center channel? (1 Viewer)

Armando H

Agent
I have an opportunity to use a matching powered tower as my center channel speaker. Is this a good idea? It is the same tower I have as my left and right front channel speakers. All three towers fit perfectly under my screen. But is it a good idea to use a full range tower as a center? They are Phase Tech 11.5 towers consisting of a 1" soft dome tweet, a 6 inch titanium mid driver and a 10" woofer. If I do use the tower as my center, should I run it full range or use the woofer as my sub?(tower has a separate line input to run the 10" woofer from my amp and leave the tweeter and mid running full).

Thanks for any help guys.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It is always an extremely good idea to use identical Left/Front/Center speakers. If you can, do so.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
It is a great idea. When I set up my fathers theater we were able to get 3 Meridian DSP5000 towers up front and the sound is amazing. The store loaned us a Meridian Center channel that is supposed to match, and this is not a cheap center, but it could not compare to using the tower. The really nice thing about the matching center tower is that dialog is perfect even if you are sitting to the side. I tried this same setup with my old theater using Def Tech BP-10s across the front and I was quite pleased.

As for running them full range or using the LFE input thats something you can play with. If you don't have a stand alone sub, I would just setup as full range to the front three and direct the .1 to mix into the front.

Greg

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
If I had a screen that would allow me to use the same three speakers across the front, I'd do it. As for how you set it up, this article has some good information about bass management that you might find helpful. It seems, according to the information in this thread, that you will do better to run all of your speakers with the same crossover frequency.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=Sub+Music

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks