Powered Sub Problem..... Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brent_j, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Brent_j

Brent_j Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a new HT setup on the weekend (Polk RTi10's for main CXi5 for center, FXi3's for surrounds and a new Polk 404 powered 10", I also picked up a new Yamaha RX-V2400 to power everything) For demo purposes I kept my old Polk RMS 350 powered sub to see if there was a great deal of differance, I also picked up a a Y spliter to have both subs going at the same time. After hooking up the new 10" I have noticed a big lack of lows on everything. I have one set to 180 degree phase and the other at 0 degree. I have played around with switching the phase and no big differance, am I doing something wrong.....???

2. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

Did you recalibrate with DVE or AVIA. Also how do you have your subs crossed over (are the mains set to small or do they just recive LFE)?

3. Brent_j

Right now I have both subs cables connected to the LFE input on the subs. On my Yamaha reciever setup I have my mains set to large. ... as for recalibrating with DVE or AVIA I have no clue what that is????

4. JohnGil

When your mains are set to large your subs will only get LFE. You have to calibrate, thats the most imprtant thing you can do. Also you may want to co-locate your subs for added output. Also try running your mains on small. I know your thinking "I just bought full range speakers". Running your speakers on small relives them of having to reproduce the low end, in turn you will have added clarity in the mid range and be able to play at higher volumes without taxing your amps power leaving you with headroom.

5. Brent_j

I have set my main's to small and turned up the LFE output on the Yamaha, that seemed to have help considerably. Now I have my mains set to small, I am guessing I also set the LFE / bass out to JUST the subs and not both my subs and mains???.....

6. JohnGil

Correct, The LFE info should just go to the subs.