Powered Sub < $400 w High Level In & Out

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Doug_B, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Looking for a powered sub in the US $300-$400 range for a second room. I would like a sub that has high level inputs and outputs, because the receiver I'll be using for a while is an old DPL (no xover/sub out). Alternatively, if there are inexpensive xover units with high level in/outs, I can probably deal with that as well. How much are the Paradigm X10/X20/X30 xovers, by the way?

I am receptive to other alternatives, but since this is a secondary setup (that's not going beyond 2 mains and a sub for a while), my needs are just to fill out the low end for casual TV viewing, some music (mostly for my better half), and possibly a bit of very non-critical DVD viewing for the kids and maybe DVD extras for me. Thinking of the future, though, it's probably good to get a sub that is not totally pitiful below 40Hz.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

An Adire Audio Rava would be the way to go for $399. Nothing you'll find less than this will be even close for the quality and performance unless you find a killer deal on something used.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Man, I forget all about Adire subs. Please forgive me [​IMG] .
    The Rava appears to be what I need, down to the cube shape that is definitely preferable for the room in question.

One question I have about the high level connections. It appears, based on the manual, that the high level outputs are crossed over at a fixed 125 Hz. Is this correct? Does the crossover adjustment then have no effect when using the high level connections?

Thanks.

Doug

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think if you could stretch you budget a little more, go for the HSU VTF-2, great sub for the money.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Doug,

The high level outputs have a fixed 1st order crossover at 125Hz, but you can still adjust the sub's crossover.

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter