1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Powered studio monitors - Opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobL, Sep 14, 2001.

1. BobL

BobL Agent

Does anyone use powered studio monitors for there speakers? I am considering getting a Bryston SP-1 preamp and running balanced cables to powered monitors for all 5 speakers. (Probably Genelec 1031 or Mackie HR824 but still auditioning others). Any opinions/ experience doing this? Thanks
    Bob

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bob,
    Those Genelecs are awesome. I think the best thing to do in this situate would be to get a nice pre/pro like an Integra research system with balanced outs and go to town. The sound will be fantastic. You'll probably still need a nice amp and sub, but I think going in the direction you're thinking would be an absolutely fantastic idea.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

3. Brian Lang

Brian Lang Auditioning

Since you can afford the SP-1 why not look at the PMC AML1 powered monitor. It has 2 built-in Bryston designed amps, 100 watts for the woofer & 80 watts for the tweeter. Balanced connections only.
    I haven't heard these, but I've read a couple of good reviews. In my own system I'm using Bryston amps & PMC speakers (AB1 mains & TB1 centre) which makes for an awesome HT experience. My centre channel is essentially a powered monitor, because I have a Bryston Power Pack 120 watt mono power amp bolted to the holes in the back of the speaker.
    Check them out at: www.pmcloudspeakers.com
    [Edited last by Brian Lang on September 16, 2001 at 12:43 AM]

4. BobL

BobL Agent

I also considered the Integra Research RDC-7 but preferred the Bryston for simplicity and adjustable crossover. I also looked at the PMC AML1 but it is getting out of price range at 5G a pair and I would need 3 pair. I couldn't find a dealer to sell me just one.
    I am in the design process of building a new home and the theater costs are being rolled into the new house. I liked the idea of using balanced cables because I might have some long runs. The powerpacs are still a consideration for this as well. Here are some current considerations.
    Processor:
    Bryston SP-1
    Also considered Integra Research and Sunfire.
    Speakers:
    Genelec 1031 or 1032
    Mackie HR824
    Bryston Powerpac with ? So many too audition. Kind of liked
    bi-amped speakers though.
    Alesis Prolinear 820 - not out yet and a little worried
    about Alesis right now.
    Also considered JBL LSR28P, Yamaha MSP10, Tannoy system 800a, HHB Circle 5, KRK V8
    Subwoofer:
    SVS Twin CS Ultra (favoring the dual setup but haven't heard them)
    1 Revel B15
    1 Genelec HTS 4
    1 Martin Logan Descent
    Also Considered: Velodyne HGS-18, Bag End Infrasub, M & K MX 5000 THX MK II, Acoustic Research ARS 500
    I would appreciate opinions, especially on using monitor speakers for HT. I have monitor speakers on my keyboard setup and have hooked up CD's to it and like the sound.
    Thanks
    Bob

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I've listened to the Genelec 1030s and really liked the sound. Not a whole lot of bass, but better than most small monitors. JBL also has a some nice ones, and if Mackie made a smaller monitor than the HR824, I'd probably be interested. You can pick up Genelecs on Ebay for some pretty decent prices.

6. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    I would HIGHLY recommend that you NOT use studio monitors as your main speakers. There are a couple reasons.
    So you know where I am coming from.....I am a film/TV/classical composer and have a home studio with studio monitors. Currently I use Event 20/20bas, but will most likely upgrade to a new setup of Blue Sky in the future.
    While studio monitor speakers have an incredible sound...they are designed to be listened to very closely. Their sweet spot is in the near field. When you set up you studio work space....it is advisable to set up a triangular configuration or sorts where your head at the mixing board is the focal point of the speakers (sometimes 6-7 feet away from each L & R speaker. The only way these speakers will produce their incredible sound is for you to be at their sweet spot. So, unless you want to be 6 feet away from your speakers (which will put you a couple feet in front of your TV screen......studio monitor should not be used for a home theater (or even home stereo) setup. They are just not practical.
    Now...I often find myself wanting to listen to my music on my studio monitors and I will play my CDs on my mixing setup and sit at my workstation.......that would be an appropriate use of the speakers. But I must stress that setting them up in a living room or home theater room, you will be VERY disappointed in the sound produced by the monitors and feel ripped off, especially due to the high cost of the studio monitor speakers. They will sound like crap basically.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston
    "Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

7. BobL

BobL Agent

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your post. I appreciate your experience. I am very curious about the powered monitors. I have been experimenting with my JBL 6208's in place of my main speakers. They do sound good but it is an apple and oranges comparison. My mains are Infinity RS-IIB's so I didn't expect much from the JBL's. Maybe, I'll try them in place of my other system, Atlantic Technology T-70's but I assumed the JBL's would win. But, I'll try it, you are probably correct.
    Genelec is also marketing an active home speaker line but as far as I can tell from the website they are just rebadged versions of their studio monitors.
    ? HT208 = 1031
    ? HT210 = 1032
    I am going to take a drive to the nearest hifi dealer that carries these next week and give them a listen. Anybody know if these speakers are the same and just rebadged or had any experiences with them?
    Thanks
    Bob

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yeah, what Brian said.
    I sit infront of nearfield monitoring some 30 hours or more every week. While there are some great monitors availabe, and even some for good prices- most just don't produce the sound you're looking for within home theater.
    The very nearfield, close focus nature of these speakers; whihc, let's face it, are designed for a specific purpose- doesn't really work well for wider array positioning needed to fill an average size room with sound.
    I mix on my nearfields, I run my HT on Paradigm.
    [​IMG]
    -Vince

9. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi BobL,
    One of the best combinations I have personally heard was an M&K S150 Powered System with an ADA pre-amp processor that was using balanced outputs.
    The reviews for M&K have been very good. The last one I read was by Perry Sun in Widescreen Review.
    The advantages of using a powered loudspeaker versus a conventional one is great.
    Of course I would seriously recommend the use of balanced cables because of the long speaker runs you will be doing.
    Anthony

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Hi Bob,
    Yeah, the HTS Genelecs are basically rebadged regular series, except for shielding and some cosmetics.