Powerdvd XP 4.0 LFE problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathias Larsson, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Mathias Larsson

Mathias Larsson Auditioning

I'm using the said software with a creative Audigy soundcard and Creative Inspire 5.1 speaker system. The thing is there's almost no bass in movies. It works great with games and music and I have som bass, but nowhere nere where it should be. Also when I try the "THX optimode" included on some discs (Ie Phantom Menace, T2 UE) it doesn't respond when it reaches the subwoofer...

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

You have it connected digitally with the SPDIF cable, right. I imagine you do for 5.1. If it's connected ANALOG, like I do, since I'm only running on Pro Logic, you need to go into the sound options and enable LFE. This will mix the LFE channel into the analog signal. I never had this checked during Pearl Harbor, and my little old Passive bass reflector was dancing!!! LOL

3. Mathias Larsson

Nope. It's not connected via SPDIF. I also tried the LFE mix, this resulted in me having to reinstall Powedvd, since I only had stereo [​IMG].

4. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I find that LFE turned on or off makes very little difference. Like I said. It was turned off during Pearl Harbor and my little old Passive Bass Reflector subwoofer was still dancing. It NEVER did that with VHS!!! I run my computer's sound through a little bitty stereo mini jack extention cord. I have adapters to make it plug into the LINE IN RCA JACKS on my Prologic system. I'm gonna get that cord replaced soon. The system in the living room is about 15-20 feet from my computer. Also, go in the volume/mixer settings and click the ADVANCED button and put your BASS control to the 5th dot and the TREBLE between the 4th dot and the 5th dot. That should improve your sound some.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you're not using the S/PDIF, are you using the "digital DIN" (looks like an S-Video connector)? Is the Dolby Digital LED on?

//Ken

6. Mathias Larsson

I'm not using an external amplifier. I'm using powerdvd's own decoding capabilites and the Creative Inspire 5.1 computer speaker system with it. Perhaps I've been somewhat unclear about that.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Doesn't the Inspire 5.1 have DD (and DTS) decoding? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong system. Do you have the 5700 with the fancy decoder box with volume control, or the 5300, which looks like it's just the speakers? Sounds like you have the 5300.
    There's an online review that mentions the lack of bass on the 5300. There is no online manual for the 5300, but the feature list mentions 5.1 sound with Audigy. Are you using the three analog outs (front, rear, and center/sub)? I guess the culprit then is PowerDVD.
    //Ken

8. Mathias Larsson

It's the 5300 without the external amp. It's powerDVD alright. I downloaded a trialver. of WinDVD with *proper* LFE decoding. Now I just have to buy that software since the titles stop playing after 5mins [​IMG]