PowerDVD vs WinDVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Graham, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

Which one is the better buy?

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I suggest to download the demo versions of both and see which one performs better on your machine or which one you prefer from a usability standpoint.

On a 400MHz machine, WinDVD performed visibly better than PowerDVD, so that was the decision right there.

-Christian

3. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

I have both and find WinDVD a bit better.

Power DVD has a few cool options but WinDVD I find works better with Win98 SE.

I ony use Power DVD when I want to use the zoom function.

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

on all the machines I have tried (all 800MHz+), powerdvd 4.0 is by far the best performing and looking software player.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

At least on XP, I found that Power DVD performed better & had far more options.

-Dave

6. Kevin_Graham

After installing the demo for PowerDVD 4 I couldn't get any audio. I looked at their tech support page but didn't see anything that would help. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

P4 1.6A

Asus P4T-E mobo

Toshiba DVD-ROM

Visiontek Geforce3 TI200

Soundblaster Live! Value

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Kevin,

Are you using actual HTPC, or just a desktop player? If you're going HTPC, consider THEATERTEK, it is a dedicated HTPC player that is very good.

I will be publishing a review of the software early next week.

-Vince

8. Kevin_Graham

It's not an HTPC, just a desktop that I'd like to be able to do some of my DVD watching.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The newest version of PowerDVD is very convincing. I purchased WinDVD full a while back, and found the people to be sufferable about support; when I needed to re-install on my new PC, they wouldn't supply me any sort of help and told me I'd need to purchase new software, etc. etc. Basically, a giant waste of $30. PowerDVD earlier versions never impressed me. But PowerDVD XP is very impressive.

10. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I have both and I found on my 500MHz PIII system, PowerDVD runs better in Win 2K. On some titles, especially when using a high bit rate DTS sound track, WinDVD will become jerky and stumble. PowerDVD had no problem with the same title (Terminator 2, SE in DTS).

P.S. I got no digital sound from either in win2k until I installed SP 2 for Win2K.

11. Kevin_Graham

I would like to go with PowerDVD but I am wary since I can't get any audio from the demo. Is anyone using PowerDVD 4 with a Sound Blaster Live! Value? Where can I get the best price on PowerDVD 4?

12. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I started using WinDVD when I first got a DVD-ROM, but later discovered Power DVD and never went back. Power DVD 4.0 is definatly THE software player for Windows XP. It has DTS and Pro-Logic II decoding, features that lacked in 3.0. Also, I think the picture quality is quite a bit better than WinDVD. Unfortunatly, the Deluxe version, the one with all the features, costs a gangster's roll (at least to me it does). See here.

13. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

I much prefer PowerDVD to the Cinemaster software which came with my machine... The Cinemaster had a tendency to render motion in a very jerky manner, like frame-glitches... The PowerDVD picture is vastly better. However:

At least on my machine, PowerDVD has a tendancy to spit out discs as "scratched or defective" which play perfectly well in Cinemaster, or on my Toshiba DVD player...

It's like having a Walkman with no error correction... Why does PowerDVD bomb out with nonexistant/barely-there scratches which other players can handle just fine? Does anyone else have this problem?

14. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

What about "InterActual Player" which comes free with some DVD's?

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Mike, the InterActual player is only a front-end player. It doesn't include an actual DVD decoder.
    I went the cheap route for my notebook and got the WinDVD X-Pack for fifteen bucks. It's a set of DirectShow filters which adds DVD playback capabilities to just about any media player including the InterActual player and Windows Media Player. I went to http://www.inmatrix.com and downloaded the free Zoom Player (donations accepted). It's surprisingly advanced and offers features that work with just about any codec including zoom, aspect ratio control, configurable control bars, skinnable interface...
    I'm glad I paid only fifteen bucks for the decoder. It showed me that InterVideo's on-line support is as mentioned rather flakey. I inquired about the lack of color controls on the player and mentioned a couple of bugs involving DVD menu highlighting and image scaling, but never got an answer. I also have a problem with the volume dropping down during loud passages; it's as if an automatic level control was active.
    I'll send a message to them about the volume problem since that's more important than the lack of color controls. Then again, the color controls allowed me to adjust the grey scale on my notebook screen to a beautiful neutral tone that made black & white movies really stand out, so I really would like to see them added into the X-Pack.
    So why do I stay with WinDVD? First of all the decoder only cost me fifteen bucks instead of the fifty bucks asked for a complete package. Second, WinDVD doesn't suffer from the chroma bug.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You can buy PowerDVD XP for $12 from at least one location I know of [​IMG]

17. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I just got PowerDVD 4.0 with my new Xtasy Geforce 4 MX 420 card. It blows the pants off of WinDVD 2000 which came with my system.
    I know which player I'm sticking with now! [​IMG]
    KJP

18. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Earlier, I was using WinDVD 2000 (Version 2.3) on my system. It worked but the controls kind of sucked like a vacuum cleaner. [​IMG]
    I HIGHLY recommend PowerDVD XP 4.0, though. Not only are the controls way better, but also PowerDVD XP 4.0 supports all the hardware acceleration functions on the latest graphics chipsets (and that includes the nVidia GeForce4 series--Cyberlink has provided a patch that upgrades PowerDVD XP 4.0 for this purpose).
    The only downside is that I've seen PowerDVD XP 4.0 crash when it's set to automatically start a DVD that includes the installer for InterActual's PC Friendly 2.0. I fixed that problem by making PowerDVD start the disc manually. [​IMG]

19. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

Power DVD!

20. Kevin_Graham

I guess I should have read the fine print of the demo disclaimer page. It says that demo versions downloaded after November 1, 2001 will not support Dolby Digital audio decoding due to Dolby policies. Therefore DD DVD's will be inaudible. Oh well, I placed my order for PowerDVD today and should be here next week. Thanks everybody!