PowerDVD problem (won't play)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I am having a problem with PowerDVD 3.0. I can't get it to play any DVDs. When I try to play a DVD, the screen just goes black, then keeps clicking repeatedly, as if it trying to change the monitor resolution settings over and over.

I can play DVDs just fine with other software such as ATI Multimedia Center 7.6 and Windows Media Player.

PowerDVD used to work for me. I'm not sure when PowerDVD stopped working, as I only use PowerDVD when I want to do screen captures from DVDs.

Can anyone help me get PowerDVD working? (I haven't been able to find any info on this problem when I searched.)

Thanks.

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Very odd.... Try making sure the Play Full Screen option is unchecked and see if it will play in a window. Perhaps its got a conflict with your current resolution.

If screencaps are all you want, open the DVD in Media Player Classic or any old program, then do an Alt-PrintScreen (captures to clipboard) and then paste it into your image editing program and crop out the screen.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Try going into the settings and TURN OFF hardware acceleration. Let us know what finally fixes it.

4. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

What OS are you using? If it's WinXP, you'll need to patch your 3.0 software. You could also uninstall and reinstall Power DVD, and see if that clears up the problem.

RGT

5. Jeff Jacobson

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Did you install any other DVD programs or video codecs lately?

-Dave

7. Jeff Jacobson