What's new

Power wire for speaker wire..... (1 Viewer)

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I have a question. I just purchased an Onkyo HT-S770 and as those of you that are familiar with the system may know it comes with very tiny speaker wires. I looked purchasing some 16ga speaker wire but decided against it for several reasons. I have several 1000' rolls of 16ga power wire left over from my car stereo shop. I thought about using it and twisting up my own speaker wire pairs. The only thing is that after I cut off a piece I noticed that the wire is not as bright as it once was. Apparently it has started to oxidize. Its not bad, but it leaves me wondering if I should even bother. I thought maybe I could deoxidize the ends and solder the tips, but I cant think of the best way to do this. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you may have on this....

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No reason not to do it. The oxidation (assuming that’s what it is) might be an issue if you had say, a $15,000 system, but if you can hear the difference with some dinky HTIB speakers, you should be making a living with those ears! :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
This is no $15K system, but it is in no way "dinky". It is actually a very nice sounding system. As a matter of fact it sounds quite a bit better many I have heard costing several times more.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry ‘bout that, Chris. For some reason I saw “tiny speakers” instead of “tiny speaker wires.” :b

Still, the premise is the same: you’d have to have a megabuck system to tell the difference between speaker wire that’s slightly dull-looking vs. bright and shiny – if then. It’s never a bad idea to replace tiny speaker wire with something more substantial.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks