What's new

Power User Projector and Screen Upgrade Advice Needed! 8350 ---> 3020? Screen? (1 Viewer)

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Hi Everyone, I am thinking about upgrading my Epson Home Cinema 8350 ( which i love ) to the Epson 3020 because I absolutely love 3D and this is the last device in my house that does not have 3D functionality. I am however confused if the 3020 is a worthy upgrade from the 8350 because it has a smaller contrast ratio 40,000:1 vs 50:000 : 1 and also lacks lens shift. My biggest problem has been that it is VERY HARD for me to setup my 8350 even with the lens shift feature and i am worried this one may be impossible. But also i am extremely curious about how it would be in terms of performance. ( i have read a few reviews but i thought i would ask you good people for your unbiassed opinions) . Lastly with regards to a screen I currently have a 92" screen by Projecta which came with my 8350 when i bought it from Best Buy. I was hoping to upgrade and would have loved the Black Diamond Zero Edge, unfortunately that is far too pricey. My criteria is size coupled with quality. Especially for 3D i feel size really makes all the difference. What would you reccomend? My room conditions are usually brighter but when i sit down to watch a movie with friends we can darken it. However it still looks quite washed out. What do you guys reccomend? Is there a better projector i could get for a little bit more? Is this what you would reccomend? How about the Screen?? Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Thank You!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To keep the "picture you got"...but gain 3D takes the 5020UB. Or spend the extra $300 on the UBe and it is in another league. Of course....assuming the room is already within spec of the 8350. Changing out the 8350 to the UBe you go from(if you stayed at 92) 3FC to 7FC. The image goes from 24 to 58fl. 120" drops you back to 34fl. You need the extra brightness to counteract the 3D. I used the "mean distance" PC provides. The 120" image moved the projector back 6 feet(I think...) http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5020UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5020UBe-projection-calculator-pro.htm Plug in the distance you got and the screen gain you have now vs what "you'll get" to see if the projector needs moved...if you want bigger.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thank You so much!! I really really appreciate it!!! Is that the projector you have?

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
also what about the 2.39:1 ratio? Do i need a special wide angle lens? I am confused about this one because the link above has the option for the projector but when i read reviews about it, i dont think it had mentioned it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Home theater projectors can be set up where you either put in a 16:9 screen and "black bar" the top and bottom for movies... or a... 2:40(2.39):1 screen and black bar the sides for OTA/Television. There is no wrong choice. You choose based on your content...then deal with the black bars either being top/bottom or on the sides. 2.4 and 2.39 "mean the same thing". 2.39 is actual...2.4 just "rounded up"... I have a 3yo JVC(I've had it around 18 months, bought as a floor demo with "new-ish in it" bulb and a brand new in box bulb) that was...almost twice the price of what the 5020UBe is now(and that is the discounted price I paid). So yeah, my projector, out the door...with 5yr warranty, 200-ish hours on the current bulb and a NIB bulb...was $6000. (no, I didn't "really pay" $6000 either. I used to sell this stuff wholesale. I got the projector I have for $900 below wholesale...no...I'm not going to say how much that was...or many people on the forum...that have JVC projectors...would cry)

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Wow that is absolutely crazy man!! Thats an awesome deal!! I wish i could find something like that :) Thanks for your quick response with the aspect ratio that is very very helpful! I hate the black bars and this seems ideal. Would the image look stretched though? Also if i understand it correctly, that aspect ratio can be projected onto a 16:9 screen and would basically get rid of the bars? What about a movie like The Dark Knight Rises, essentially in a 16:9 setting it switches from black bars to full screen. Would part of the image get cut off? I am terribly sorry if these questions seems very amateur but i would rather learn from you than pretend i know! Thanks Again!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When you pick screen ratio, you pick your poison. Do you go for 1.85.1? 2.4:1? 16:9? No matter what you choose...you are going to end up with bars for stuff "not" in the ratio you chose. I loathe using "stretch". I'd rather see whatever I'm watching in the ratio intended...and deal with bars.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Fantastic! Do you reccomend any screen in particular? Given my room setup i would need a pull down (electric would be nice but i know it comes at a price). My current screen suffers from white wash unless the room is pitch black. I would love a black diamond but its completely out of my budget unless it falls from the skys. What do you think of the BenQ 7000 ? Is BenQ a worthy competitor to the Epson?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I can't recommend any projector till you tell us... Throw distance Screen Gain/size/ratio Seating distance Mounting option(s)

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
This is my current apartment setup, next year I am going to find a bigger place; so I am trying to future proof as much as I can even with 4k in the back of my mind : Throw distance 131 inches ( about 9 feet I suppose ) Current screen : 92" , 16:9 , not sure how to figure out the gain , I got it free with my 8350 from best buy so it can't be all that good. Seating distance: 135 inches, basically the same as the throw distance. Mounting : currently rear ceiling mounted. Preferably want to keep it the same as its a small apartment

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To do a 120" the 5020 needs a minimum of 11'8". The BenQ 7000 needs a minimum or 14'1". So...with "9 feet" the biggest you can go BenQ is 77-ish with 40FL image on a .8 gain. The 5020...same way...93" 75FL. Neither is really going to work...so. 3020... 94" 53FL. closer...but if you had issues mounting your current projector WITH lens shift...without...I have no idea.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wait, that is what I get for using your math... That isn't 9 feet....it is almost 11 feet...I'll change in the "next post" the results...

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Schan1269 thanks so much man ! I truly appreciate all of this ! So your saying my best bet is the 3020? What is a FL? Also how is screen gain determined ? Is that preset into the screen? What does a higher gain do for me ? What size projector screen do u recommend with my conditions ? Should I keep the same 92"? I have looked and had some trouble figuring out what the maximum size epson 3020 is capable of. Some say 144" , others say 200 and I have even seen a 300" . I couldn't find it on epsons website :-( Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Screen gain is(pretty much) anywhere from .8 (which means the screen is reducing your projector output) to 1.7(meaning it is adding 2/3 to your projector output). The "higher the gain" (meaning 1.7) the narrower the viewing area. Basically if you are sitting dead center, you are fine no matter what. If the "edge" of your seating area is wider than your screen(like the screen is 7 feet wide, but your seating is 10 feet wide) you lose visibility on the edges. Screen gain you choose is determined by the room itself. Dealing with light coming in cause this ins't in a basement? You buy a higher gain screen. If this is in a light controlled room, to get better contrast...you get a lower gain screen. (and even that isn't an exact science either...as there are "high gain" gray and "low gain" white) The FL is the brightness of the image. How bright "to you" is not the same bright "to me".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, it would be worth your time to purchase a lumen meter($20 on Amazon) and measure the screen lumen you have now. Then you get to play with the calculator to determine what projectors will work with what screen to achieve "close" to what you have now.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Fantastic this has been one of the most insightful conversations I have had In a while . Thank you so much! Is there a particular company of screens you like ? I heard of ro one and draper . And I will then as per your recommendation go with the 3020. I am debating the e version I don't know if that's work the 300 for just the wireless hdbut the 3020 seems like the right one for me !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks