Power tool help/recommendations: Rotary Tools

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jul 15, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey guys...
    Im looking for a rotary tool for just around the house stuff, and some PC Case modding, and i was wondering which was the way to go...
    Theres the ever so obvious DREMEL, but the dremel one of the more expensive ones at Canadian Tire. They also have one by Black and Decker, the RTX which is a good price.
    And there are other ones by Mastercraft (Canadian Tire's own power tool brand i think?).
    Do these all work pretty much the same (performance/reliability)? Will they all work with the same bits? Because many of the bits shown on the site say for DREMEL, but would say, the B&D tool fit these bits?
    Thanks

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

When it comes to tools, I usually don't worry to much about what brand I'm buying unless I'm going to be using them in excess. From the experience I've had with them, Black and Decker and Dremel make decent quality products. I would go with whichever one suits your needs and your budget.

3. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I have a Craftsmen, which has served me well after many long hours of use. I got it at Sears, with over 100 bits, and the coil grinder (the long "snake" device for tight area's or precise grinds)

ALl in all it was regular $199.99 CAD for it, accessories and all, but I lucked into a stock clearence sale, and got it for $99 CAD.

Not a bad deal, and it has worked flawlessly for me.

4. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Don't shop for tools by price alone, unless you just want to buy everything two or three times.

The Craftsman rotary tool is made by Dremel, I suspect. They certainly seem identical to me. Sears is actually a good place to buy tools; Craftsman is decent-quality stuff, and their hand tools carry a lifetime warranty.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I like craftsman hand tools, but I don't care for their power tools. I have the cheapest single speed dremel there is, have had it for 3 years, but I've probably used it 5 times. At a cost of about $30USD it's done what it has to and suits my needs. I have to admit I've never used any other rotary, everyone I know has a dremel [​IMG]
    the last craftsman power tool I bought was a drill, sears was moving so it was like 50% off and barely worth that price IMO [​IMG]

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I only have craftsman power tools, so when I needed a rotary tool, I bought the craftsman cordless one. It was about $80 USD. Works perfectly.

7. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

I have both a Dremel and a Black and Decker. Both are very nice, but the Dremel just feels better while ur cutting, for me atleast.

Either way is good in my books. But do not go for a cordless. it may seem like a great idea, but the small batteries die so quick and take forever to charge.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Thanks alot.. the Black and Decker seems nice for the price, but ill also check out the craftsmen.

Do all of these tools use the same kind of bits? Like are they all compatible with the Dremel bits?

9. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

They do all use the same bits yes. I am not positive about that bendy-arm thing though, but I believe it is compatible.

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Love my dremel. No idea if other tools are better or worse, but the dremel is certainly the most popular.

I bought a 3' long flexible shaft for it. The end where your bit mounts is about the size of a thick pen. Makes it real nice for doing fine detail work...

Tool (including a case & a bunch of bits) was about $60. Flexible shaft was another $30. Both were money well spent.

11. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I bought a RotoZip and have been very pleased with it. I've used it on a variety of projects from cutting holes in gutters for downspouts to making cutouts for pipes to cutting holes in drywall for light fixtures to grinding down sharp and uneven edges. Great tool. At first, I thought that it was over-the-top for my proposed uses, but contrary to my first thoughts, the RotoZip has become a useful addition to my power tool inventory.

12. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Hey NickSo or anyone else, I have a 5 speed Dremel tool that I'll sell you for $40 plus shipping. It comes with the case, some random bits, and the end attachment that allows you to adjust the depth of cut. It's in perfect working and cosmetic condition, and the only reason I want to sell it is because I don't use it. Why did I buy it? Well because it just seemed like a cool tool to have. I'm an idiot!
    Just e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.