What's new

Power supply (1 Viewer)

Robert Dixon

Auditioning
Hey guys i'm new to the forums but i've been reading for a lil' while,
anyway the reason for this post is to ask a question that i can't seem to figure out on my own..
let me start by filling you in on a few things..
I have a just started to put together a HT so far i have a
JVC D-series 32" -Display
Yamaha RX v-620 -Receiver
Paradigm Titans - Mains
Paradigm CC150 - Center
Tannoy C-6 - surrounds

My current setup also includes a Cambridge sound-works DTT3500 home theater in a box, just the amp running two 12" alpine single voice coil 4 ohm subs running at 8 ohms from my old car setup.

My question is what would i need to run the subs at 2ohms off of the Alpine v12 amp that i used to run them off in the car but this time in the house??

I don't want "TONS" of bass, I just want the bass to hit lower

Edit: I know that i need a power supply to go from 120V AC to 12v DC at 20 amps.
any idea on where to purchase something like that and how much?

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
You could build it... all it would take is a transformer, some rectifier diodes, capacitors, some proto board, and an enclosure (and a little know-how to keep from electrocuting yourself);). Your total parts cost would be in the neighborhood of $100. You could also buy a laboratory power supply (radio shack sells them)- again, to get something with adequate current delivery you're probably looking at close to $100. OR... you could just buy a plate amp from parts express or another supplier, and get the whole amp for $100 without all the work- and it will probably sound better. Seems like the better option to me.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Buy a Parts Express plate amp. It'll cost you less than a powersupply beefy enough to run your car amp.

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks