Power supply

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Dixon, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Robert Dixon

Robert Dixon Auditioning

Jan 23, 2003
    Hey guys i'm new to the forums but i've been reading for a lil' while,
    anyway the reason for this post is to ask a question that i can't seem to figure out on my own..
    let me start by filling you in on a few things..
    I have a just started to put together a HT so far i have a
    JVC D-series 32" -Display
    Yamaha RX v-620 -Receiver
    Paradigm Titans - Mains
    Paradigm CC150 - Center
    Tannoy C-6 - surrounds

My current setup also includes a Cambridge sound-works DTT3500 home theater in a box, just the amp running two 12" alpine single voice coil 4 ohm subs running at 8 ohms from my old car setup.

My question is what would i need to run the subs at 2ohms off of the Alpine v12 amp that i used to run them off in the car but this time in the house??

I don't want "TONS" of bass, I just want the bass to hit lower

Edit: I know that i need a power supply to go from 120V AC to 12v DC at 20 amps.
    any idea on where to purchase something like that and how much?
  2. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Jul 22, 2002
    You could build it... all it would take is a transformer, some rectifier diodes, capacitors, some proto board, and an enclosure (and a little know-how to keep from electrocuting yourself)[​IMG]. Your total parts cost would be in the neighborhood of $100. You could also buy a laboratory power supply (radio shack sells them)- again, to get something with adequate current delivery you're probably looking at close to $100. OR... you could just buy a plate amp from parts express or another supplier, and get the whole amp for $100 without all the work- and it will probably sound better. Seems like the better option to me.
  3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Apr 5, 2002
    Buy a Parts Express plate amp. It'll cost you less than a powersupply beefy enough to run your car amp.