Power Supply replacement 4475T for M&K MX-100

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Seth=L, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Where can I get one? M&K doesn't have them anymore.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Holy mackerel Seth!

Who makes that power supply? If you can identify the company that makes it, that would be a good start.

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I think I found it. It is made by a company called Paraline. They either did or still do make Transformers for M&K. They make them for everybody. I will have to special order it, and they don't keep any stock. They want $75 for one, I hope that I can find another in a wharehouse somewhere for cheaper.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Seth

With all due respect, just order that thing, and be glad you are getting it from the source, in case there are any issues.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Haven't completely ruled out other possible issues, and sudden financial situations will prohibit me from making any recreational purchases for a while. It sucks being a young college student with a part time job and an expensive hobby. Maybe I should start collecting funny looking garbage. [​IMG]

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

At least you scored big with the Hsu purchase [​IMG]

7. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Why don't you just replace the M&K with the HSU for the time being. The HSU can handle what ever you play through it. As for the power supply, order it from the manufacturer.

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

That is exactly what I am doing. It may take me a couple months to get another transformer so the HSU will stay in the system untill I fix the M&K. I still miss the M&K a lot, even though I have only been out of it for a few days. The HSU is good, especially for price paid, but no way in Haites can it keep up with the M&K.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

No, but the 12 inch, 300 watt STF-3 in 22 HZ tune, will get you much, much closer to the M&K.

10. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Close but no cigar, I really don't like ported subs.

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes, ported subs are just awful. SVS, Hsu, and the majority of subs out there leave a lot to be desired [​IMG] How do you feel about subs with passive radiators, like Mark Seaton's new BMF? 1 15 inch driver and 3 15 inch passive radiators? Experts in subwoofer design can produce outstanding sounding subs both sealed and ported.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on various forums and there is no clear winner. One thing is not in doubt though. Dollar for dollar, ported subs deliver much more output than sealed subs. Witness the SVS SB-12 PLus @$700 vs. the PB-12 NSD @$600. For $100 less, the PB-12 will deliver both substantially greater output and considerably deeper bass.

If money were no object, I would have 2 Velodyne DD-18's at a cost of $6,500. However, instead, I have a pair of ported subs, that cost about $5,000 less and sound great.

Of course, to each his own. Please keep us posted on the repairs to the MX-100.

Thanks

Arthur

12. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

How about transmission loading, they are large, but if done correctly can beat just about anything in just about every department except size.

13. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes Seth, I love transmission lines. And you are right again about size, and to some extent, price. The Danley Tower of Power (TOP) is one of the best out there at ~$4,000 plus power amp.

I would like a pair of these if I had the room and the money. These are "full range" down to ~50Hz, and were designed by Nelson Pass who has designed some of the best amps in the world.

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf

Never the less, the Velodyne DD-18 is an amazing product, with 8 band EQ viewable on TV, remote control of virtually everything, phase, volume, EQ, etc., and is a favorite of many with much experience and sufficient funds. Also modestly sized. There is really nothing quite like it...except the DD-15, DD-12, and DD-10. Of course they can't compete with that 18 inch driver with 23 pound magnet.

14. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

That horn is pretty awesome, and it is made by college students.[​IMG]

15. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

That huge horn with a single 6.5 inch driver!

16. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

It is funny to look at.