Power Supply Help HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by -, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Guest

I recently started using my desktop I built about a year ago with my Plasma to play HD movies and shows. Can anyone suggest a power supply that I can use to replace the current one I have (current power supply is VERY loud) and an HTPC case that would work with this hardware?

MB - Asus M2N-SLI

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 5000+
    Video Card - XFX Geforce 8800 GS 384 MB
    Memory - 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 Ram
    PSU - Power Up 800w Power Supply w/2 80mm/Blue (super loud)
    HD - 320 GB Seagate SATA
  2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Apr 11, 1999
    Check out www.silentpcreview.com and read the reviews on NewEgg.

I have had good luck with Antec and SeaSonic brand power supplies.

The M2N is a full-size ATX board, so that limits your case options.
  3. Guest

So I picked up a Corsair 400 Watt Power supply and put it in my computer. So much more quiet than the other one I had in the computer. The one I replaced was 800 watts though, but I read that Corsair makes very efficient power supplies.

One issue I am noticing is that my hard drive on the computer is constantly grinding away since I made the power supply switch. Could this be related to the change in PSU or maybe i am just noticing it because of the lower noise level from the PSU.

I also just ordered an ATI radeon 5500 HD video card with passive cooling to replace my XFX geforce 8800gs (will make computer even more quiet). I only want to use this pc for movies/tv/videos and maybe some old school games.

Anyone have any advice on the hard drive grinding even when computer is idling?
  4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Nov 2, 2002
    If it is constant you may want to run a full spybot sweep and virus sweep. Also - uninstall all unused programs. Check your startup log and make sure no unneeded programs are launching - itunes helpers, updaters, acrobat crap, etc.