What's new

Power Supply for New LCD TV (1 Viewer)

James^C

Grip
I just baught a Sony Bravia XBR 40" LCD flat panel TV from Best Buy. The salesman was very insistant on two things: (1) I purchase a power supply for $350, and (2) pay $550 for the 4 year extended service plan.

He said that my picture will not be as clear and I run the risk of doing serious damage to the TV without the power supply. Is this true? If so, is there a cheaper model? Does Parts Express handle something just as good?

Also, should I suck it up and buy the extended service plan for $550? That seems to be very high to me!!

Thanks again for all of the help!
James

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Power supply? He must be talking about a power line conditioner and that's about what one would run for high current applications. It has no effect on picture quality unless you have ground loop problems that you need to solve. If you are in an area with lots of AC power fluctuations then it could be a good investment, otherwise it's a debatable purchase.

Extended warranty? That's a gamble. Bear in mind that almost any repair on a digital TV can run over $400-$500 with $1000 repairs common.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do not feel abligated to buy either extra piece.

These things are your choice, not a sales person's.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I use a line conditioner on my equipment because my power fluctuates a lot in the winter months. Blasted neighbours can't control their power usage. :) I don't want surges or brownouts.

I also use a small battery back up for my projector to power the fan for cooling should the power go out.

No battery back up required for a Bravia ... and if your power flow is good ... a surge protector no more than $100 should be fine.

Extended warranty is just insurance ... if you don't think you can cough up $400-$600 in repairs in 3 years time ... then you should get the warranty. They bet that you won't need it ... you want peace of mind ...

YOu might be able to knock them down on the extended or buy it for cheaper from elsewhere.

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
Lived there long? I'd say it's fine if you have no reason to doubt it.
Do lights ever flicker? ect..ect..?

Tests people can do are short lived, so beyond just the fact the volatage is correct and the wire job is correct, not much you can test.

Don't feel obligated to get either one. Most people still run without it in all honesty. They may save you from a lightening strike more than anything else in general.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

Or plug another TV or computer monitor into the same outlet. If messes up the picture on the TV then it may be needed, I have seen this a few times at work where a bad outlet made the monitor's picture shake. Or do you ever have a issue with appliances resetting themselfs on that outlet? That could mean the voltage is dropping a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks