power supply fan not working

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i just realized that the fan on my power supply (antec true 430) isn't spinning. i have no clue when that happened.

yeah, i'm probably gonna replace it (this one came with the case), but i was wondering if there is any diagnostic/repair steps i can take? is it even worth it? i figure a new supply should be (hopefully) about 75-100 bucks?

the pc seems to work fine. the ps is warm to the touch...but not overly so.

any thoughts? am i doing any possible damage to my pc's electronics, etc???

thanks,

ted

[edit] - oh yeah...if anyone has a recommendation on a replacement ps...please do so. [​IMG]

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Replacing a power supply fan is pretty easy. Just go out and buy another one that is the same size.

You'll have to remove the power supply and undo a pile of screws to get the top off, but after that it's a piece of cake.

If you can solder you already know what to do, but you could just snip the ends off of the wires, bare and twist them together as tightly as you can, and then tape them up with some good tape. Electrical tape is preferred. Make sure that the wires won't get pulled into the new fan blades.

Another thought - the fan could just be stuck. sometimes just a spin will get it going - and there may be a dust build up that could have stopped it.

Glenn

4. John_Berger

While that's certainly valid, why not just replace the power supply outright instead of going through all of that? The power supply will be new; it will be covered under warranty (which will be immediately invalidated by hacking it); it might be a good excuse to upgrade to a higher wattage if needed; it would provide a new fuse (since most power supplies have fuses in them to prevent surges, or at least used to); and it will take less time to switch out supplies than to hack both of them.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The fan is there to cool down the power supply. Parts of the ps will melt eventually, say if left overnight. I've seen it happen.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys. i'm always glad when john replies...or at least i think i am. [​IMG]

anyway, that's pretty much what i figured.

i built the pc myself, but the ps was included in the case (antec 1080 case). so, i figured it was a decent combo. the case has an additional three fans (one on the side, two in back) that are running, so the interior is pretty cool. heck, i would just leave the entire thing open for now...but i have a sneaking suspicion that my new cat would cause some havoc.

i checked newegg.com and it looks like a similar 430w supply is gonna be about 80 bucks. although i'm pretty sure a 350w would work, i'm not willing to take a chance on any power supply issues with my pc. for another 30 or so bucks...i'll definitely take the plunge.

i looked at the ps a little closer...there's some sticker about no user serviceable parts, etc. so i guess it's gonna have to be a swap-out.

i tried the canned-air approach...no luck.

the only thing i'm kinda dreading is going through all my loom and zip-ties. i got it lookin' pretty good in there...now i'm gonna have to redo it. ugh!

as always, thx much! i really just wanted to be sure i wasn't gonna blow-up my pc...but i think i'll be okay.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

BTW, if you decide to open up your power supply, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE CAPACITORS. Please, please please.

8. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Ted,

When my PSU and mainboard got fried two weeks ago, I was looking for a replacement and found it in the Seasonic Super Tornado. Unless you have really high needs, this 300 W PSU should do fine, and it's really silent. Find a review here.

-Christian

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it's doubtful i'm gonna open the thing up. just gonna be easier to replace...but thx for the warning.

i may check out that tornado...looks like a good unit. good website too ... thx!

10. John_Berger

11. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Oh, and Fry's carries that PSU, which was good in my situation, as I wanted to get my system up and running again ASAP.

-Christian