Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Any recommendations on a 350w to 400w power supply? What brands do you like? Does it really matter? I want a good one but I don't want to spend a lot.

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

get an Enermax. I believe they have ones that have an adjustable fan speed control, and an adjustable 5V rail as well. both of those may come in handy later on, and the Enermax's are great units.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

This is the power supply I chose for my new PC:
    http://www.amdworld.co.uk/antecpp412.htm
    Its the antecpp412.
    A bit pricey but worth it. I'm still in the process of putting my new system together but I have seen this bad boy in action and it is very nice. Also if you are considering an Epox motherboard (which is what I bought[​IMG]) the Antecs are nice.
    The Enermax's have some known issues with the Epox 8K7A+ from what I was reading on the AMD boards. That shouldn't influence your decision uless you are considering that particular board but since it was my first choice for a motherboard it made a difference.

4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I am not picky about brand names of power supplies. I like to use dual fan switching supplies which run about $45 - $55 depending on wattage rating.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think the problem with the Enermax PSs and the 8KHa+ is no more, at least not that I know of. In fact I'm using an Emermax 350W PS with my EPoX 8KHA+ fine, I get 4.94v on the +5 line and +3.34v on the +3.3v line, and 12.03v on the +12v line. However, I don't overclock or mess with the core voltages which alot of people seem to do. Mine is not fan adjustable but the difference between the two same models is only like $4 or so. And I know that my Enermax is not voltage controllable although I've read of a simple mod with a potentiometer to fix that on anandtech's forum, I think some Antec ones are.

Jay

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Ok...what's the benefit of going with a brand name like Enermax and Antec versus some generic model? I've seen generic power supplies that offer the power switching feature in the Enermax line.

I want a good PSU but I just can't see paying $90 for something I can't "see" working. You know what I mean?

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think the main reason people buy name-brand PSUs is more of a piece of mind. Everything needs power and one of the first things in stability is a decent and steady voltage output and enough juice to power everything, especially with AMD systems. The fact that power supplys should be transparent like when you try to diagnose something, the power supply really isn't the first thing most people look at and not everybody has the know-how or desire to poke around with a multimeter inside their PC/PSU and stuff. I mean you can find the voltages from the BIOs in most motherboards these days but not always and not necessarily the most accurate. So it's worth it to some people to spend the extra money just for a piece of mind and reliability than have to worry about your PC blowing up down the road.

I paid $53 for my 350W Enermax from newegg.com, where most generics are around $30

Jay

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I have one from http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com
    Shipping to Finland included it was painful to pay for, but on the other hand I feel confident I have a really good powersupply that will last me as long as the ATX standard does... and I haven't seen any major changes come along to make a switch necessary yet.
    The difference was quite marked to the old one I had. The voltages reported by the motherboard for this one were absolutely spot on, the other one was all over the map... some too high, some too low.
    A difference of 0.5 volts may seem insignificant, but in some cases it will increase the energy output several times over spec on some of the components on the motherboard, according to what I've read.