Power supplies on receivers, switchable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMM, Feb 5, 2002.

1. ChrisMM

ChrisMM Auditioning

As I am just purchasing a new Denon 2802, a thought occured to me. I may, in the future, be relocating to Australia (from the US here) and I was wondering if this unit could be refurbished to work properly down there. The obvious difference is the power requirements, 120v vs 240v and perhaps 60 vs 50hz phase requirement. Like in many PCs, the power supplies are switchable to operate on either voltage requirements. Does anyone know what the deal is on receiver power supplies regarding this matter.

The only other difference I can think of regarding receivers operating in another country would be the radio band requirements. I don't know much about this if an FM receiver from the US would work properly there in Australia.

Thanks!

2. RodrigoF

RodrigoF Auditioning

My receiver (Sony STR-DB940) is from USA (110v.) and I am live in Argentina (220v.). I have to buy a 220v-110v 500W trasformer, but with it the receiver works fine. The AM/FM radio works great also, altought, a friend mine bought his receiver in Europe (same Sony STR-DB940 model, but with RDS Radio system) and he has some problems with the radio because the steps are diferents for the USA model ( .10 for the USA model, .09 for Europe model).

Hope it helps you.

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I have moved back and forth from Japan a couple of times, and the frequency generally doesn't matter. Since the Denon is a Japanese product, and Japan itself has both 50 and 60 Hz, I think their power supplies are designed for both.

As Rodrigo says, the voltage can be taken care of with a transformer. I would go that route before trying to modify the unit. I don't think there will be a simple switch to do so.

BB