Power Supplies...Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I am in the midst of building a new computer for myself and have come across a problem with the case I want CASE It says it is certified for P4's, but says nothing about Athlon XP's. Will it still work, or am I going to need a new power supply? Thanks.
    -Svence

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Should be, the P4 power supplies will have an extra cable that has like 4 pins in it and is square shaped. It's only used for Intel P4 chips but your Athlon XP shouldn't need it.

AMD should have a little javascript app that will recommend you AMD certified power supplies give your AMD CPU, you can always check that to see if the power supply you're interested in is listed in there.

Jay

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You will be fine. The Athlon XP systems "Recommend" having a 300-350watt power supply but they do not require them like a P4 does. The P4 power suppies have 2 additional hookups besides the ATX power on the motherboard for use in the 850 chipset.

KyleS

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You will need 300+ watts though for the newer video cards (Geforce 4 and ATI Radeon 8500 or 9700). Enthusiasts are now saying 350 watts is the minimum...

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

ENeermax is pretty decent. I've got a 365 watt in my Athlon 2100 and it's pretty sweet.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i picked up an antec 430w - it came with the case so it was a no brainer for me.

from the reviews i've read, both enermax and antec are pretty well regarded.

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

are there any mid tower cases that come with decent quiet power supplies?

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have an Enermax 431w dual fan and it is pretty damn quiet. Of course, it makes no difference with my "lawn-mower-like" Delta fan on top of my CPU [​IMG]

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got teh Enermax 'quiet series' (with adjustable fans. It's pretty quiet, But I've heard that people also replace the fans (panaflo is supposed to make some really quiet ones.)

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The only other concern is that some cheap boards (namely one from ECS though the model number escapes me right now) needed the 5v output to be rated at 30 amps (thus making a budget board not so much of a budget, especially when your ps might cost more than it and a cpu). I would look at the forum of that motherboard manufacturer (assuming they have one) to see if there is a common problem that builders of that board have came across that seems to be a common theme.

11. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

Robert thanks for the heads up on that I am looking at a ECS board right now. On the quiet PC stuff, check out this place Quiet Power Supply They have all the stuff you need for a "silent PC"
    -Svence

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

There are many brands that make the "Quiet" power supplies but I dont know of any in the mid to lower end range cases that come with one. Your best bet is to buy the case and then buy a quiet Power supply (Enermax, Antec, or Vantec).

KyleS