What's new

Power Strip (1 Viewer)

Don*A

Agent
I am looking for a surge protector with a removable power cord that is not power limiting and noise suppression without paying big name brand $$$. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why would you want it with a removable power cord? This isn't going to be easy to find because the cord is integral to their design and is required for their warranty usually.

What's the price range?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Not only is it required for the warranty, it's required to meet UL listings for the device and avoid the potential for lawsuits.
If this 'power limiting' is somehow a concern of yours, I'd suggest you look at some of the major players like APC, TrippLite, Belkin, etc. for surge protectors that are used on high current draw devices like copiers.

Don*A

Agent
Maybe I do not understand but the boutique audio companies make them with removable power cords. Are they not meeting code? I use tripplite now. The reason I like the removable cords is length. Getting a custom length it is easier to keep the cables organized and separate. I do not spend big $ on the boutique cables I look to companies like Signal. But cable clutter dirves me crazy. Also to keep the cables apart from it makes it easier.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is as follows. In order to meet the UL listing applicable to TVSS, which I believe is UL 1499, Second Edition, the device must pass certain tests and meet criteria. The device means not just the box, but the cord that is an integral part of it. The manufacturer has determined what the gauge of the cord must be in order to meet those requirements and by tying it intimately to the box, ensures that the device functions appropriately. Doing so ensures a quality product, protects you, and prevents you from possibly using a substandard cord.
I don't know what devices you're considering but you might begin by determining whether or not they meet UL 1499, Second Edition. DO NOT BE TAKEN IN by manufacturers that state they use UL Listed parts. That is NOT THE SAME as a UL listing. If for some reason they use a separate power cord, then that PC must also be UL listed and the gauge should be specified which will be a function of length.

If the length seems to be an issue, just coil it to the length you want and use some sort of a tie to keep it that way. One of the forum advertisers has a variety of cable organizing products. Might find what you're looking for there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks