Power Strip with Light

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by EdBN, Jan 11, 2006.

1. EdBN

EdBN Auditioning

The other day I was in a local High End audio store and happened across a cool power strip with a lexan tube on the front. It was the same width as a standard receiver/cd player and rack mountable. The power outlets were of course on the back side and the lighted lexan tube was on the front. The price was steep however at approx. $200. Is anyone familiar with this or any other light sourse for a audio rack. My equipment is inside a custom oak cabinet behind a glass door. The room is intentionally left very dimly lit to enhance the theater experience. This however makes it impossible for me to make out any of the controls on any of the components inside the cabinet. The lighted lexan tube power strip was the hot ticket, but I'd like to research it on-line to see if in fact I can find a decent price on it.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info or solutions.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Ed. Your post was in the area devoted to discussion of films on DVD; it's better suited here in the Accessories area. Best of luck. JB

3. EdBN

EdBN Auditioning

Sorry Jack, I thought that I was in the correct section when I posted. I was surprised when I realized that it was in the wrong place and was expecting a minor slap on the wrist. Won't happen again.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ed. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

Check out ebay for stuff like this. (Musical Instruments -> Pro Audio -> Rack Gear).

Rack Mounted Light

Rack-mounted power strips are often used in pro-audio or theater equipment. There is a whole line of standard rack-sized accessories including:

- power strips
    - lights
    - Fan shelves
    - keyboard pull-out trays
    - etc.

Keep in mind that these come in black-metal brackets designed for a .. 19" rack (I think this is the size).

Unless the inside of your rack has the right dimensions - these accessories may not exactly fit. A clamp-light or one of the Black and Decker "Snake lights" might be a simpler, easier choice even if it wont look as nice.

Hope this helps.

5. EdBN

EdBN Auditioning

Thanks Bob. That is very close to the unit that I saw. The piece that I saw was a very attractive piece that looked just like a additional piece of black audio hardware when stacked on top of a receiver or DVD player. I think I may have to go back to the dealer where I saw it and get some info as well as a digital pic. I sure most people people who experience similar vision problems inside their Audio Visual cabinet would love the looks of this component because it blends in perfectly with all of your electronic gear. Again, at almost $200 I thought it was a bit salty.