power strip vs. power conditioner

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Demian, May 13, 2005.

1. Demian

Demian Extra

I need help deciding on a power strip vs. power conditioner. I am not sure what is suitable for me. I have a toshiba crt projection tv. I do also run a yamaha 5790 receiver-connected to def tech speakers and a svs 20-39pci. I am not sure wether to get strip or conditioner. I am on a limited budget for now but don't want to waste $ on a strip when a conditioner is what I buy in a few months or year. What are the key features to look for? Any input? and what are the best manufacturers to buy from? Monster seems to be overpriced and not sure about rest of market. Please help if you have any info. THX

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Check out the tweaks & connections area. There's a fairly comprehensive explaination.

3. John S

John S Producer

Tight on money? Shoot get some strips. It is rare that conditioners are really needed.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get something that protects all paths to your gear (cable, modem/phone, sat, etc...). Unless you live where lightning or power outages are common, you probably don't really need a conditioner, as John said.

5. Demian

Demian Extra

Thank you very much, I will go to tweaks and connections for more info.

6. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

ok , think about all the money you have spent on that gear and add it up. now weigh you options and go for the monster line conditioner with surge protector. it does not have to be lighting that does in your system . it can be a simple thing as a power interrupt that sends a voltage spike when the power returns. now some may argue that its over kill and you dont need it but, its like buying 18 gauge speaker wire from radio shack . i peosonally own the monster hts 5100 and i love it. but its a small price to pay considering the replacement cost of new gear.
    frank