What's new

Power Setup and equipment for home theater build (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JohnRice said:
A couple Emotivas to consider...https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-3BTW, I just glanced at your Sub thread and my personal opinion is that if I was putting that much into an HT, I'd look beyond using a receiver. Unless you want up-to-the-second processing, the rest of the system you are putting together deserves separates.
The latest gee-whiz bang pre-pro isn't out yet. That would be the newest Onkyo PRC model.I'm sure owners of Marantz latest/greatest are hoping for firmware to match the upcoming Onkyo (which Integra will likely get a version) .

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Interesting thought. I guess I stopped by my local AV store and they sell McIntosh amps and prices were off putting. I'll look elsewhere as you suggested.

Again, big thanks to you, Robert, and Sam for the info. I wouldn't have tackled this otherwise, and I'm going to end up with a much better HT.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Highplainsdakota said:
Interesting thought. I guess I stopped by my local AV store and they sell McIntosh amps and prices were off putting. I'll look elsewhere as you suggested. Again, big thanks to you, Robert, and Sam for the info. I wouldn't have tackled this otherwise, and I'm going to end up with a much better HT.
You want a bit of "feeling inadequate" ...Stop by the Wilson Audio website and check out some of the theatre pics in their gallery.(My favorite is the 3rd row, third pic. Blue speakers and amps...out on the floor)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brian, it's just a thought, and something you can try later. So long as you have a receiver with pre-outs for at least L&R, it's always an option. No matter how much research you put into it, once things are running, you'll want to make changes.

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Thanks again. That's probably what I'll do. I have an "ideal" now written down, and I'll buy the parts as I see fit.

One last topic we haven't touched on, I don't have a rack for all my components. I'm not going to have room on my walls to flush mount anything, even though I have a storage room behind two of the walls. I'd rather put room treatment pannels there for better sound. I think I'll put a rack just inside the door of the storage room for quick access, and use a universal remote system to access my components.

Few if any of my current components are rack mountable, though I think I'll try buy those from now on if possible, especially amps.

Any rack systems come to mind that you like? I need some shelves for xbox, receiver, cable box, etc, and hopefully room to mount separates.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unless I'm dreaming, your 50.1 can have rack ears put on it.I usually let the store where the equipment is bought provide a rack.Those things have a stupid high markup, so if you buy some amps...ask them to give you one. (You'll be shocked how fast they'll drop one to cost or below if you go..."hmmmm, I need a rack for this $1000 amp and $1400 AVR" )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks