What's new

Power requirements (1 Viewer)

John Bejster

Auditioning
I'm in the process of building a HT in my basement and was wondering if a single 20 amp circuit will be enough. The equipment (not yet purchased) will be:
Denon 3802 or similar receiver
Toshiba 56" RPTV
Powered subwoofer
and the usual DVD, CD changer, VCR, etc.
So, will one circuit be enough, or should I install another one for the subwoofer?
Thanks,
John

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,
First, welcome to the Forum!
This is a pretty small system, so one 20A circuit will be enough. However, if you ever plan on upgrading to multiple amps, you might want to plan ahead and run another circuit. If you do install more than one circuit, make sure they are connected to the same phase or leg at the service panel.
A common misconception is that a dedicated circuit means a single outlet. This is not true. Be sure and install as many outlets as you need for your gear. For instance, if you plan to have the sub some distance from the other equipment, it would be a good idea to install an outlet at that location.
If you don’t spending a little extra, use commercial grade outlets, which are built sturdier and grip the plugs better.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

------------------
My Equipment List

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you're in the wiring panel you might also consider a whole-house surge suppressor.

Ben Cannon

Grip
Hi There, I like to at least seperate audio, video, and power amplifier circuits (with a reciver, you combine analouge audio and power amp, but you can still run DVD players, etc off a third circuit to help reduce their noise some.)
If you can, I'd recomend minimum of three 20A circuits.
Consider running a single 240V feed too. You never know what tommorow will bring.
Spring for the best possible hospital grade, explosion proof, outlets you can buy, then get better ones :) It's a good investment and will insure that your reciver gets all it's high peak current demanded. They're not very expensive, and if nothing else, are good fire insurance :)
Best!
Ben.
------------------
theatre.jpg

Ben Cannon
Dream With Your Eyes Wide Open, Inc.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" --Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks