What's new

Power rating ? (1 Viewer)

Shiu

Second Unit

I would say read as many reviews as you can, especially those that include lab measurements. Apparently you can get the Pioneer 1014 TX or even the Elite VSX-52TX for under $1K. They can do 5 X 125W at 1% THD. So it is reasonable to assume that they can do close to the 7 X 100W (probably 7 X 90W) that you are looking for.

Shiu

Second Unit

Yes, if we can rely on S&V's lab measurements (Dec 2004 issue).

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven......................141/221W
5 channel driven (8 ohms).............82W

Freq response

20 Hz to 20,000 Hz +0, -0.2 dB
below 10 to 121,000 Hz +0, -3 dB

RyanJE

Second Unit
Thanks for the links Shiu. I think Im going to get me the 1014. Seems to be the best deal around right now.

Shiu

Second Unit
I think that is a good choice. Apparently the 1014 is very much a Elite VSX-52TX under the hood. You must have already read the H.T. mag review on the 52TX.

Pauli

Grip

It's a quite common misconception that the values specified on the back of the receivers would be the maximum power draw. But, unless clearly specified as the maximum power draw (ie. says Max power consumption next to it), it usually isn't. Though I don't know how manufacturers calculate that value, you can't really make any conclusions based on those values.

For example Sonys DB2000QS has a rating of 170W on the back of the receiver, but it has been measured to put out 2x210W continuous into 4 ohms and 5x90W continuous into 8 ohms. Even more into peaks.

Shiu

Second Unit
Pauli, you can see that I agree with you. Just for the fun of it, let's look at the advertised spec of the Sony DA1000ES (Sonystyle.ca)

7 Channel Power Rating: : 100 Watts Per Channel X 7 (8 ohms 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD .09%)

Power Consumption: : (In Operation): TBD W

It's predecessor, the DA1ES (I used to own one), at least gave you something like this:

Power consumptions: AC120V, 60 Hz, 290VA. Now they don't even tell you!!

The way they specify the 1000ES is not going to be against any law. They never say 100W per channel with all 7 channels driven simultantaneously. They simply (could argue unintentionally)present it in a way to lead you to believe they have lots of power, but don't cost you much in electricity (hence low consumption). May be they want to have the cake and eat it too.

Likewise, they never said the power consumption was for all channel driven simultaneously to deliver maximum output. I pick Sony just as an example. I actually like their product.

In a way, even HK plays their own way of power game too. HK usually specifies their maximum power consumption, but they never said it is a continuous rating. For argument sake, they could have specifed the maximum consumption based on the power supplies short time (e.g. 1 hour)rating. This is aside from the remote possibility that their amp designs are less efficient, and produce more heat.

Unless you are into hi-end territory, you simply cannot rely on those specified ratings. For most applications, it does not matter neither. Almost all reputable brands (including Sony)will give you enough power. And I think manufacturers know that too well, they are not concerned about customers complain to them about not getting the specified power output (no known class suit against anyone so far). Complaints are usually related to failures not directly related to lack of power. Most units have the infamous "protected mode" anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks