1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Power question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

What it makes to be very efficient and use as little watts as possible?

I.e. is is possible to design a good sub which will be satisfied with 75W from my receiver?

2. Sure you can=)

Hoffman's Iron Law: enclosure volume, extension, efficiency. Choose two and your stuck with the third.

Since a sub requires extension and you require efficiency, you can have it at the expense of having a large box.

heck, I believe Brian Owens was driving his BPD1803 with only 25watts and the whole house was rattling. ...course it was a 12ft^3 ported enclosure

3. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Is there any king of formula for this?

How many ft^3 do I need to drive ported Tempest with 75Watts? Can I have good timing values with it?

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Have you downloaded the LspCAD demo from Adire yet? "Salvation lies within".

5. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Listen to Jack.

Also note that the larger the larger the vented box, the worse (usually) the transient response.

Me? I like Low Q (AKA; Big!) sealed boxes.

What are you goals for your sub?

Do you want it loud? How loud?

Clean/tight?

How much power will you have?

How much do you wanna spend?

There's a lot of questions to be answered.

And you can power any sub with even 1 watt, doesn't mean you'll get much SPL though.

6. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Well, I downloaded it with some designs from Adire, too much terms for me right now inside, so I started to ask here. (what is "transient response" by the way?)

Goals : Music/HT 60/40

Loud: Yes, loud

How Loud?: I don't want to ruin my house, but I want to be capable...

Clean/tight: sure

How much power will you have: that's what I'm trying to decide - I have free 75W channel from my H/K 520 I can use for powering. 7^3 ft is the biggest tube volume I can aford.(from the other hand big round table can go up to 10^3) If it's not enough, I'll buy plate amp then and go with sealed box design.

How much do you wanna spend: I hope to stay under $500 for everything (I don't have any tools or materials right now)