Power Protection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ammon, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I've just purchased the Denon 4802 and I have a 60" RPTV. I am wondering what would be a good power strip to get that would give me good clean power, give me good protection, but not be too expensive. How are the Monster Powerbars?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

good question, it's hard to get any specifications from Monster. First question really is do you own your home or rent? Second question is does your homeowner/renter insurance policy have provisions for full equipment replacement in the event of a surge? Third question is are you looking at a particular price point? I know you're probably thinking well Monster and a whole bunch of other people have an attached equipment warranty. Read it carefully and you'll generally find at best you'll get your unit repaired. If they don't repair it, they'll pay you fair market value and that's a whole lot less than you might think it is. That's provided of course that you didn't do anything that might void the warranty. In any event, you're going to need something that'll protect all the equipment and that includes the cable or satellite.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ammon, if you do a search for budget surge protectors, you'll see a post by Bill Kane regarding units under $100. The Tripp Lite and Panamax models are the ones that I'd look into. Like Chu, I'd be leery to depend on these warranties from the surge protector companies to replace/repair my equipment in the case of surge damage. Make sure your home owners insurance or renter's insurance covers things. I think of the surge protector as simply lessening the risk of an act of nature causing problems. They'll also help with any EMI/RF interference as well.

cheers,

--tom

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ammon,
    Here Here is a link to a Basics reader on surge protectors. Inside is another link to Under $100 units. I second Tom's recommendation to look at TrippLite Isobar6 and the Panamax Max8 DBS models.
    bill

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What I like about the tripplite (I'm looking at the isobar6Ultra...the DBS I'd imagine is a bit more) is the isolation between outlets and the rigorous clamping...that's pretty cool I think. Price isn't bad...under $50. What I don't like, or am unclear about, is what happens to the attached equipment if faced with a catastrophic surge that overwhelms the unit? Does it fail open, closed? If you think about it, they're potentially important questions.
    I think the Panamax MAX8 suffers from the same situation. Yeah, it'll power off under over or under voltages, but again what happens during a catastrophic surge?
    In my search for various products that were inexpensive, I ran across this one http://store.yahoo.com/directron/s5280.html ($25) which although seems that it'll disconnect in the event of a surge and has global emi/rfi protection, lacks interoutlet emi/rfi filtering.
    what i'm looking for is something that addressess all the issues....emi between outlets, protection if the unit is overwhelmed...it's out there...i think??!

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

The Panamax units, the newest line at least, claim to have the SurgeGate Plus circuitry, which as I understand it, will disconnect power to everything connected to the unit if there is a prolonged over voltage. The MAX 2 COAX unit I just bought claims that in the event of a catastrophic surge, it will disconnect AC power from connected equipment. I assume this also means it'll sacrifice itself to do so. I assume that the rest of the MAX line also has this feature. The TrippLite model does say it has two isolated banks of 3 outlets which I don't believe the Panamax has. The Panamax model has the convenience of switched and non-switched outlets if one is interested in that.

cheers,

--tom

7. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the great info! Right now I have a real cheap surge protector hooked into a UPS. Would getting a power/line conditioner be a wise choice? Should I really be worried about the clean power I am getting or the sound quality? Is the Monster Clean Power II stuff really worth it? Or is what I have right now sufficient? I suppose my price range would be up to $200. I saw this Monster unit and it is what sparked this thread:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...PB1100&o=m&a=0
    Would you recommend any others similar to this that may function better?

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

MonsterPowerbar 1100 is a recent design (under 2 yrs I believe) and is a quite useful surge protector that easily lies on the floor behind the entertainment center if that’s a consideration. While Crutchfield (and Onecall.com as well) provide outstanding customer service/contact, you can find the Monster cheaper for $170 at www.powersystemsdirect.com which discounts across the board.
    In starting out to shop for a surge protector, it’s easy (and can drive you batty with electronics lust if not specification frustration) to get sidetracked into the area of Power Line Conditioners. Monster attempts to move the market here by marketing its surge protectors as PLCs too, which they are not in the mid-range models. Stage 2 merely refers to the RF/EMI filters that all surge protectors carry to some degree. Nearly all Monsterpower units are Stage 2 until you get to the 3500 model, which adds another filter for the video section, if I’m not mistaken; Monster doesn’t publish spec details.
    At this stage of the game, I wud suggest getting a surge protector under $200 for your upgrade – now you have 3 models in this thread – and study up on PLCs. If you go this direction, be prepared to spend in the $1000 range give or take $300.
    PLCs can be attractive to people with upper-end, revealing audio systems, and may or may not improve video black level. I consider PLCs as largely lowering the electrical noise floor, and not so much “improving” the sound as removing electrical hash to give you the sound that’s already inherent in the software to hardware system.
    If the budget is critical, many will suggest saving for better speakers for one’s system for fundamental improvement, before going to aftermarket PLC tweaking. HERE are some reviews to get started on PLCs. Here is Another set of reviews.
    bill

9. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Great info! Thanks a bunch!