Power Output of SVS Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeKaz, Apr 27, 2004.

1. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

I have an amplifier that I got from SVS to power my sub, the Samson S1000. I am using it to run a speaker for an engineering application, and I need to know how I can measure the power output from the amplifier for a given volume setting. I have seen rather involved methods of measuring it using an oscilloscope and a voltmeter, but I was wondering if there were devices which could measure the power output to the speaker directly.

Thank you
    Mike Kazlauskas

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'm confused... a voltmeter (and oscilloscope) will measure the power directly. Hook up the voltmeter to the load's terminals and measure the power with the voltmeter. If the voltmeter doesn't have a 'power' setting, measure the DC voltage and current. Power = current * voltage. The number will obviously change at different volume settings.

If you need a more complex measurement, please elaborate. RMS power can be determined but not while you are driving a speaker (since it's a reactive load).

3. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

4. MikeKaz

That's the thing- I need the power that is actually going through the speaker, not just the power output from the amp for a given setting across a dummy load. I am running a sine tone if this makes it easier. I know that there are actual power measurement devices or power measurment software packages that can be used with oscilloscopes to measure instananeous power. Theres at least one way I could use a regular digital multimeter to measure the power going to this reactive load, but I would rather not have to set up a VI.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd....ode=DZ52011_US

5. MikeKaz

Anyone know how to measure the power going to a reactive load?