What's new

Power Output of SVS Amp (1 Viewer)

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
I have an amplifier that I got from SVS to power my sub, the Samson S1000. I am using it to run a speaker for an engineering application, and I need to know how I can measure the power output from the amplifier for a given volume setting. I have seen rather involved methods of measuring it using an oscilloscope and a voltmeter, but I was wondering if there were devices which could measure the power output to the speaker directly.

Thank you
Mike Kazlauskas

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm confused... a voltmeter (and oscilloscope) will measure the power directly. Hook up the voltmeter to the load's terminals and measure the power with the voltmeter. If the voltmeter doesn't have a 'power' setting, measure the DC voltage and current. Power = current * voltage. The number will obviously change at different volume settings.

If you need a more complex measurement, please elaborate. RMS power can be determined but not while you are driving a speaker (since it's a reactive load).

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
That's the thing- I need the power that is actually going through the speaker, not just the power output from the amp for a given setting across a dummy load. I am running a sine tone if this makes it easier. I know that there are actual power measurement devices or power measurment software packages that can be used with oscilloscopes to measure instananeous power. Theres at least one way I could use a regular digital multimeter to measure the power going to this reactive load, but I would rather not have to set up a VI.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd....ode=DZ52011_US

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks