Power Oulet and Light

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Huber, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Today I was vacuuming the carpet. The plug was in the hall. I turnned off the vacuum and then turnned it back on. It came back on for .5 sec and then went off adn didn't turn back on. I plugged the vacuum into another room outlet and it turnned on find. So, something is wrong with teh plug.

Well tonight I tried the hallway light. It also doesn't turn on. So, something is not working right. I checked the fuse box and everything is turned on still. The hallway is not labled on the box either.

What do you guys suggest?

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The circuit may have a GFI inline. Find it and press the reset.....hope that's your problem.
    BTW.... a GFI looks like a regular receptacle with two small buttons.....one of the buttons resets the power flow. They "trip" when they sense too much power, usually 15-20 amps, being pulled. Also check your vac......... and make sure it is operating correctly since that many amps is way too high for a vac to pull.....

3. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    I agree with the GFI reset button. However, if the first one you find doesn't do it, look for another. When I first moved into my house all the outlets in the living room went out. I couldn't find anything in the fuse box that was off, but I tried them all anyway. No luck. Noticed the GFI in the kitchen (on the wall directly behind the living room). Nope, no luck. I finally called the landlord who had forgotten to tell me that he'd wired the living room into the bathroom GFI outlet!

4. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Ha, well it was the fuse box. It was still in the on position though... Flipped it off then on again and it works...

Thanks

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Is it code now to wire every outlet circuit on GFCI? Or, is it just easy to do and electricians just do every circuit?

The reason I ask is that I moved into a brand new house and everything is on a GFCI... which is fine with me for the added safety, but it's just one more thing to check if something does trip.

6. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

No it is not code to do every outlet off of GFCI. It is code though to put outdoor recepticles, garage, bathroom, basement, and kitchen outlets on a GFCI circuit. And anywhere else water can be a factor. This can be done by adding a GFCI outlet to the circuit somewhere or it can be done with GFCI breakers at the panel. Remeber every outlet does not have to be a GFCI outlet for it to be protected by a GFCI. Only one needs to be in place, usually the first outlet in that particular circuit is the GFCI outlet. Every outlet that is then in parallel with that outlet is protected by that GFCI outlet.

This is what the NEC calls for.

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Typically code is to put outlets and lights on separate breakers so that tripping a breaker doesn't turn your lights off. So I'm somewhat surprised that the outlet the vacuum was plugged into also caused the hallway light to go out.