Power for dual Tempests,.Crown?, Samson?..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..

Still way to the green side of the theater stuff here. Building a couple Tempest sonotubes. Actually trying two different combo's, so if there is anybody wanting a Tempest sonotube, but doen't have the time or tools to build one, living in the midwest,..when I'm done deciding which system works best in my room, I will have either a big dual Tempest sono, or a pair of matching Tempest sonos for sale.

Back to the question at hand though,...Anybody have experience with both of these lines of amps? I am looking at the Crown-CE1000, and the Samson-S1000. Any expeienced info would be great, and a sourse with good pricing would be appreciated as well.

Thanks so much guys. The internet does have its up side.

>>>--->

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Haven't used the Samson, but I have the crown and from what I researched... Pat of BPD(former), Dan W of Adire, and several others recommended the crown hands down. If you will be running stereo and for subs only, you probably won't hear much difference. The samson can't bridge into 4 ohms so if you decide to go with say a BP 1503 or 1803 in the future you'll have to sell the samson to get a stronger amp. If fan noise is a big deal to you, get the samson. Both will last a very long time.

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Might also want to consider the Hypex HS500. That's what I'm going to power my dual Tempest sonosub with. In a 480L enclosure it's 250wpc will be enough to drive the Tempests to near excursion. Supposed to be very nice amp. I'll know next week when it arrives...Mike